2021 Octoberfest - Lyndee Loo - Z5 - 24-200mm set at 24mm - Day 31 - That's all, Folks!

Real Name
Paul
Day 13

Today's shot took some doing. This was taken on the top floor of a rooftop garage next to my doctor's office. The top floor gives commanding views of St. Louis and I've always wanted to shoot there. The problem is that I suffer from a rather severe case of acrophobia (fear of heights), even though, ironically, I can board a flight and fly around the world without issue. I started to have a panic attack while driving up to the upper deck, but I was determined to get the shot. After I arrived to the top, I got out of my car, put my back against it and took two quick shots. I tried to get close to the edge of the retaining wall, but it was a no go. It took me almost 20 minutes to exit the parking garage because I had to repeatedly pull into an empty space to calm down. Finally, when I exited the garage, I parked the car and sat for another half hour until I could function. Came home with a headache as a souvenir. I tell you, it was quite the morning! :confused:

Anywhoo, didn't think the two shots I took would come out, but I ended up being pleasantly surprised...

View attachment 1691080
Superb! And talk about shooting outside of one's comfort zone! :)

Day 13

Today's shot took some doing. This was taken on the top floor of a rooftop garage next to my doctor's office. The top floor gives commanding views of St. Louis and I've always wanted to shoot there. The problem is that I suffer from a rather severe case of acrophobia (fear of heights), even though, ironically, I can board a flight and fly around the world without issue. I started to have a panic attack while driving up to the upper deck, but I was determined to get the shot. After I arrived to the top, I got out of my car, put my back against it and took two quick shots. I tried to get close to the edge of the retaining wall, but it was a no go. It took me almost 20 minutes to exit the parking garage because I had to repeatedly pull into an empty space to calm down. Finally, when I exited the garage, I parked the car and sat for another half hour until I could function. Came home with a headache as a souvenir. I tell you, it was quite the morning! :confused:

Anywhoo, didn't think the two shots I took would come out, but I ended up being pleasantly surprised...

View attachment 1691080
Day 13 - really a wonderful image and kudos for facing your fears.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
This is just an amazing story and image. A great duo, by a great persistent photog. Good gravy this is gorgeous!

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
What a beautiful, stunning image and yes, worth what you had to go through to get it! I can relate to that fear of heights -- it can be quite a problem at times! I commend you on your courage and perseverance! This image is a wonderful reward for your efforts.
Thanks so much, Connie. I swear, it took everything I had in me, lol...

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Courage in electrons!
Fabulous image, well done overcoming fear and more! I'd print this as testament to your determination.
Well, half determination and half knowing that there was a fee to park in the garage. I had to get my money's worth, LOL! And thank you, Nick!

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Superb! And talk about shooting outside of one's comfort zone! :)
What a beautiful sky and skyline - including the arch! I hope that looking at the photo doesn't trigger a repeat of those symptoms!
Paul...you have no idea...

And Eric; yeah, I was triggering briefly, but then I realized that I was sitting in my chair in my office, so all was good.!

And thank you both!!

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
This is just an amazing story and image. A great duo, by a great persistent photog. Good gravy this is gorgeous!
Stunning photo! Front page nominated!
I can do that if she starts a new thread over in travel, city, or someplace…. fannie?
Ohhh my, really???? I don't think it's worthy, but if you think so, I'll do it. I'll create a new thread over in Travel.

And thank you, both - I really don't know what to say!

Phil K

Real Name
Phil
It's a stunning image, accompanied by a stunning story.

I also have some acrophobia, much milder than yours, and I can understand your feeling.

Really neat to see the arch against the sunrise (sunset?). Well done, and I appreciate the effort.

I have a very good friend with similar issues of acrophobia. There are some trails around here he just will not join me on.

12 - excellent catch on the odometer reading, nice capture of the dash.

13 - unique view, beautiful sunset! Fear of heights can be a really bad thing for people that have it, and it can take some serious will power to overcome it - even if just now and again. Kudos to you. (y)

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Day 13

View attachment 1691080
Lyndee,
it's masterpiece of photography.

Don't watch me standing on the second ladder rung or higher... :hungover: :wideyed:

Kind regards
Klaus

Last edited:

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
It's a stunning image, accompanied by a stunning story.

I also have some acrophobia, much milder than yours, and I can understand your feeling.
Really neat to see the arch against the sunrise (sunset?). Well done, and I appreciate the effort.

I have a very good friend with similar issues of acrophobia. There are some trails around here he just will not join me on.
Thank you, Phil and Jim, for your kind comments. And you know, I really don't understand it. I've been to Space Needle in Seattle, Victoria Peak in HK, climbed Mount Sinai in Egypt and I've been on the rooftop at the Duomo in Milan and did not have an issue at any point in time. It's just now lately (within the last 5 or six years) that this heightened fear has developed and I don't like it! :confused:

Latest threads

Top Bottom