Critique 2021 Octoberfest - NEF Said (Paul) - 200mm/f4 - Day 31

Real Name
Paul
Here's what I'll be using this year...
2021_09_28_IMG_1287.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

D750 with an old 200mm f4 manual focus lens. It'll be challenging with a lens that I rarely use and at a high focal length.

I'm going to TRY to do a theme again...

This year it will be "Nature versus Humankind" with shots of nature subjects, which I don't usually shoot much of at all, and man-made subjects, of which I'm more comfortable with. Maybe with some interactions of the two...

That 200 was one of my "hand" of lenses back in my Nikon film days, it's a decent lens and not overly huge. I prefer the 135 though for normal daily tele stuff. It will be interesting what you longer tele-users are going to come up with this year. :)

Sorry to read about your pup passing, always a sad happening.

Real Name
Paul
That 200 was one of my "hand" of lenses back in my Nikon film days, it's a decent lens and not overly huge. I prefer the 135 though for normal daily tele stuff. It will be interesting what you longer tele-users are going to come up with this year. :)

Sorry to read about your pup passing, always a sad happening.
Yeah, we waited over two years, as we were planning to sell/buy a house and didn’t want to introduce a dog too. Now we are in a house, so next Spring I’ll be puppy hunting. Not sure if will do a rescue again, or get my first pure bred.

Real Name
Paul
Manual, impressive. Much props!
It is harder to shoot, but I find that sometimes I get better shots, because, instead of quickly pressing the trigger, I have to focus and set the aperture right and that encourages me to think more about the composition, lighting, angle of my shot.

I get lazy with the auto focus lenses. I used to have three auto and three manual, but I gave my 105mm to my daughter and got a105mm DC. I do like the quality of the old lenses though.

Real Name
Paul
Day 01 - Nature
2021_01__DSC9193.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Just something in the back yard to get started with my theme of "Nature vs Humankind".

Real Name
Paul
Don't forget to change your thread title!
Ah, yes. I forgot. Was a CRAZY morning. First, it was 38 degrees, so my power washing of house and outdoor painting were put on hold for a while.

Second, I decided to upgrade Capture One (I was at version 20) from perpetual license to subscription (will see how that works out). I had to then download version 21, install, put in the new license, update my session for Octoberfest and then process my photos.

Third, my Mac did an update last night and broke Apple Mail, so I could not send any mail message. Of course, I had parts I had to order for a project.

So, I was frantically trying to get email sending fixed, take a quick photo, process it and post, make my orders on Amazon, respond to a contractor on a quote, and then head out to power wash.

I have about 1/4 of the house washed, the most important part, as need to paint some trim and wanted to make sure it was washed first. Later, I'll paint that trim, and then power wash the rest of the house (once I figure out why the front spigot is not working :mad: ).

I'm interested in following this thread as I have the same lens, but seldom use it.

(I trust that the Exif data shown is not correct. Did you enter that into "non-CPU lens data"?)

Real Name
Paul
I'm interested in following this thread as I have the same lens, but seldom use it.

(I trust that the Exif data shown is not correct. Did you enter that into "non-CPU lens data"?)
My D750 has non-CPU lenses set up for each of my MF lenses, but I forgot to select the 200mm - I usually use the 28mm lens. :banghead: :)

Thanks, I've got to switch that over too...

Real Name
Paul
Very crisp feel.
Thanks! I bumped the contrast up a bit, and was pointed towards the sun a bit for more harsh light.

background bokeh is very impressionistic!
Yeah, was surprised as I don't use this lens much.

I forgot about the small glass on this lens (duh) and had to really push the ISO to get enough light. Will have to consider using my (large) tripod, or Promaster clamps as a small tripod, with this lens a bit, so I can use a slower shutter (or brave it and experiment with the hand holding skills, or lack of :)).

The background bokeh makes for two eyes above and a blob nose exactly where the branch ends.

I can feel with you: today, taking a day off, I went to buy stuff to work around the house. At least, going to the shop, I did not have to deal with mail. Spent the day in the garden (-house) I mounted hooks and a shelf in.

Last edited:
Real Name
Paul
Nice colors, love the OOF rendering in this one.
The background bokeh makes for two eyes above and a blob nose exactly where the branch ends.

I can feel with you: today, taking a day off, I went to buyim stuff to work around the house. At least, going to the shop, I did not have to deal with mail. Spent the day in the garden (-house) I mounted hooks and a shelf in.
Wow - shows up the texture of the bark really well.
Thanks folks!

Latest threads

Top Bottom