Critique 2021 Octoberfest - Palouse (Nick) - Nikon Z6/7, 50, f/1.8S. DAY 16

DAY 10

Drove out into the county looking for something scenic to shoot (having shot all I can at home) but the wind and bare fields made for a dusty, hazy evening. Fields are bare in preparation for winter wheat sowing, but it is so dry here that it doesn't take much to have the dirt take flight.

Here is one of the culprits, about 4 miles NE of town. Moscow on the horizon, and the white (over exposed highlight) is the Kibbie Dome Football Stadium that was featured on ESPN's website a couple of days ago.

View attachment 1690844

Oh heck, I'll break the rules, and post a 2nd. Looking 90° to the right of the shot above.

View attachment 1690845
Those rolling hills are so pretty, even if it is just dirt. I bet the dust can be brutal, though.

Those rolling hills are so pretty, even if it is just dirt. I bet the dust can be brutal, though.
Makes for lousy landscape photography. It's a big problem in eastern/central Washington where it is drier. Fortunately for us, many/most farmers are very good at not over-tilling their soil, Most leave crop residues standing if they are not planting in the fall.

DAY 8

I'd planned to go for a drive around the county, but a friend needed help unloading some new furniture, so my camera stayed put. Took this one of my wife, with permission, during dinner. Lit only by candle light.

View attachment 1690710
Very nice portrait of a lovely lady. Sharp under candlelight and good colors. Hope the Tempranillo was good.

DAY 9
Was walking around looking for fall color shots for the CS, when I saw this resilient Irish Bell; the rest of the crop has be dried and gone for 6 weeks now, but this little fella growing out of our patio didn't get the memo.

View attachment 1690773
Simple yet elegant. Very nice.
DAY 10

Drove out into the county looking for something scenic to shoot (having shot all I can at home) but the wind and bare fields made for a dusty, hazy evening. Fields are bare in preparation for winter wheat sowing, but it is so dry here that it doesn't take much to have the dirt take flight.

Here is one of the culprits, about 4 miles NE of town. Moscow on the horizon, and the white (over exposed highlight) is the Kibbie Dome Football Stadium that was featured on ESPN's website a couple of days ago.

View attachment 1690844

Oh heck, I'll break the rules, and post a 2nd. Looking 90° to the right of the shot above.

View attachment 1690845
Man those are big fields! Nothing around here like the Palouse. Very well captured.

DAY 10

View attachment 1690844

View attachment 1690845
Looks fertile

8 - excellent low-light candid, beautifully done.

9 - looks like fall to me, nicely seen and photo'd.

10 - that shot is so real my allergies are screaming at me. I'll you all will be glad when the winter crop begins to grow and reduce the dust.

DAY 11

Had to hang out at home for signature-required packages from FedEx and UPS. Then a Zoom session with our daughter in Boise, so house bound against my will—again!
Walnut leaves on the back yard catching yellow light reflected off the canopy.
Day 11010.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
11 - hey it looks like autumn. Nice work with the "make-do" shot.

Do you get a lot of nuts from the trees? I love walnuts.

DAY 11

Had to hang out at home for signature-required packages from FedEx and UPS. Then a Zoom session with our daughter in Boise, so house bound against my will—again!
Walnut leaves on the back yard catching yellow light reflected off the canopy. View attachment 1690947
Way to make the best of the days. I've been either attending all day events on the weekends or working on projects around the house (the latest is screening in the back porch). I know what you mean about squeezing in time...

DAY 11

Walnut leaves on the back yard catching yellow light reflected off the canopy. View attachment 1690947
Amazing what can be found found around seemingly ”normal” places. Very nice textures and colorations in such a simple scene.

We did, years ago, Now the squirrels get 'em all.

That's a shame. Had the same thing happen at the old family house in TX. Mom used to have a difficult time being able to use all the pecans and was giving them away. Years later and she had a difficult time getting enough for a couple pecan pies.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom