2021 Octoberfest - Wade (Commodorefirst) - Nikon D3S, 500 f4 VR Handheld - Hardcore - Day 16

Transformer. ”Only“ 50 yards away from the road, so for the bazooka a close distance. Right before the clouds rolled in. Just a few miles from our farm.

View attachment 1691070
Great shot! It's interesting how something that appears cluttered and chaotic, is really a very organized and systematic interconnection for delivery of power.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
Day 12, at the local grocery store stocking up on supplies, took a pic of the lawn service inspecting their mowing. Hard midday sun, shot over a paved parking area, around 150 yards away. Really liked his shades and the shirt reflection.

View attachment 1691038
He does not look happy , LOL! Great capture, Wade!

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
I like all the lines arranging orderly in a disorder way.
Thanks Phil,
Great shot! It's interesting how something that appears cluttered and chaotic, is really a very organized and systematic interconnection for delivery of power.
Yes, love the order and chaos at the same time.
That is really fascinating to see! So this is what brings us light and refrigeration and other good things...... Somewhere around here I have an old glass transformer part and I always wondered just how it worked, where it fit into the rest of the schematics.
I love old insulators, have a few in the house.
And it's great that someone knows how it works and how to put it all together. Long lens brings glimpse of the background things that make our world happen.
Thankfully yes.
He does not look happy , LOL! Great capture, Wade!
hard to say, don’t know why he was walking the grounds for sure, but he was loading his mower when I arrived.
Long glass re-orients the things we see.
For sure!
That is one complex installation! Good subject for the bazooka.
I had this on my list to do, like butterflies on flowers, note, that butterfly pic is much harder than non moving transformer. Lol.
At such close range, it is nearly an abstraction. Very interesting perspective.
Yes, why I like imaging things like this. Thanks!

Ok, I am back, and this morning, I went out and grabbed a quick image in town, and then processed all my photos from the past 3 day trip. Once again my apologies for delaying, but when you travel, you do what you have to do. I was still hardcore though, took over a 150 photos of various subjects. My journey and images follow here and also in the bucket. Also, this evening, I promise I will peruse all the images you have all posted during my travels. While I was on the cafe off and on, moderating things, while visiting my daughter I just did not have the time to spend time on viewing the Octoberfest threads. I did however want to post my images ASAP, so I can get that off my to do list. Starting day 12, I should be around besides an occasional day trip for the rest of the month.

A few things I have realized imaging with a big telephoto, handheld for 11 days. My lovely spouse Diane did not appreciate me interrupting her to pull over and image out the window when we were traveling the first day, she wanted to get to Central KY and see our daughter! I became intrigued with the various cell towers, microwave towers, and TV broadcast towers that I could image on my drive over there. I always liked capturing bridges and towers, etc, and the 500VR proved useful for this endeavor.

2nd, The 500 really is difficult to capture, even from distance, the scale of what you are shooting if imaging a scene or landscape or building. An example of distance vs your eye vs what the 500 image encompasses is over in the bucket area.

3rd as I know all to well with wildlife photography, distance is your enemy with sharpness due to atmospheric conditions, natural dust and haze. I had several images lose sharpness due to the haze, mirage, and humidity associated with our higher temps on our travel days. Surprisingly, I found clear air, over water at a local marina in KY, and also on my final travel day back home, so long distance building shots were sharp.

4th, I am very lucky and have an extremely sharp copy of my lens. I have known this since I purchased it back in 07/08, and I shoot it nearly all the time wide open at f4 because it is just as sharp wide as when the aperture is f8 or more. Plus handholding even with VR on all the time, I like higher shutter speeds. Sorry for my ramblings, onward

Day 8, as stated, tower day. Look out for a crazy dude in a Ford F250 with a telephoto lens pulled over on the shoulder of State HWYs and interstate HWYs pointing a bazooka up toward the sky. Opted for a BW conversion on my selection, a few color shots over in the bucket area.

View attachment 1690867

Day 9, Spouse and Daughter went their way for a few hours, I went image exploring, Green River Lake KY, near Campbellsville KY had clear atmosphere and I took advantage of the large marina and imaged these houseboats from the dam, looking down from a 1/4 mile or more away.

View attachment 1690868

Day 10, Travel day back home, planned to visit my alma mater Southeast Missouri State University on the drive home. I planned a pic of the copper dome, and seal. But I really started missing Chris when converting the raw images this morning and I converted a second image to BW, and added a film touch and grain using my old ancient cpu and software. I miss talking on the phone with him. Please see bucket area for the Chris photo, and also see bucket area for an iPad photo of the University dome building scene and then my non cropped 500vr images for comparison.

View attachment 1690869

Day 11

Local pumpkin sales patch, brief bit of sun before the storms rolled in.

View attachment 1690871

Days 8, 9, and 10! Great shots! Sharp as can be.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
Not very happy today, selected a local bean field this morning and I thought it would be an interesting abstract (nope) even stopped way way down with aperture. Meh, sorry, but guess you cannot have every image be one you are pleased with. Leaving for a trip to town (Cape Girardeau) to see the new Bond film, and I am not carrying the bazooka into the theatre or leaving it in the car.

I ended up first converting the shot to B&W duotone then adding color back in on the final processing. I liked this brown better than as shot.

C22A14D8-FFD2-465D-867B-7B52EC6C6F27.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Actually, I find it rather interesting, and the subtle brown tones work very well, better than straight B&W would have done. I hear you all too well on the shots that just don't work out for whatever reason and how that idea or concept we had in the back of our minds would be such a cool shot unfortunately turns into "meh." Been there, done that all too recently! Shooting every day with the pressure of expectations, our own or what we think others might have, does sometimes result in a negative impact when things don't work out well. But then, the next day comes along and a great photo op pops up and enthusiasm for the project is restored...... :)

Real Name
Andy
a local bean field this morning and I thought it would be an interesting abstract (nope) even stopped way way down with aperture. Meh, sorry, but guess you cannot have every image be one you are pleased with.
I admire the dedication to the craft, Wade. While the final result may not be as you envisioned, it is nevertheless an interesting study in texture.

Not very happy today, selected a local bean field this morning and I thought it would be an interesting abstract (nope) even stopped way way down with aperture. Meh, sorry, but guess you cannot have every image be one you are pleased with. Leaving for a trip to town (Cape Girardeau) to see the new Bond film, and I am not carrying the bazooka into the theatre or leaving it in the car.

I ended up first converting the shot to B&W duotone then adding color back in on the final processing. I liked this brown better than as shot.

View attachment 1691126
Reminds me of carpet. You did a good job trying to salvage it.

Day 12, at the local grocery store stocking up on supplies, took a pic of the lawn service inspecting their mowing. Hard midday sun, shot over a paved parking area, around 150 yards away. Really liked his shades and the shirt reflection.

View attachment 1691038
That shirt reflection is really cool. I have always enjoyed doing candid photos with a long lens. Looks like you caught a little bug flying down by his knee.
Transformer. ”Only“ 50 yards away from the road, so for the bazooka a close distance. Right before the clouds rolled in. Just a few miles from our farm.

View attachment 1691070
This one is so interesting. I really like it. Neat concept and executed well.

View attachment 1691126
I agree with you that this one isn't your best....but you can't win them all. I haven't ever seen a bean field like this. Are these all on the ground? Hope you enjoy the movie!!

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
That shirt reflection is really cool. I have always enjoyed doing candid photos with a long lens. Looks like you caught a little bug flying down by his knee.

This one is so interesting. I really like it. Neat concept and executed well.

I agree with you that this one isn't your best....but you can't win them all. I haven't ever seen a bean field like this. Are these all on the ground? Hope you enjoy the movie!!
Thanks Terri, the beans were still 3’ tall, and not combined yet. I may try some dried corn rows in the future, if any are left standing. Yes, the bugs were thick around him after they mowed I guess.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom