2021 Octoberfest - Wade (Commodorefirst) - Nikon D3S, 500 f4 VR Handheld - Hardcore - Finis - Day31

Nice range of shots. I've seen dudes like day 5 - almost like they're hypnotized by the meter, or they're trying to get it to go faster by sheer force of will. Great re-use of materials in day 7.

Ok, arrived back home yesterday afternoon and took my day 6 photo on the drive to our house, day 5 was taken at a Costco parking lot, sorta like a long range street scene (150 yards away) and this morning I took a photo of the Canada Crook Neck Squash and beans drying in our garden. This was shot through an 8’ high cattle panel fence which goes all the way around our garden to keep out deer.

Day 5, yes I got a look from a few folks as I was imaging across the street at the Costco Gas station. I placed a sign pic in the bucket area. This gentleman stared just like this at the pump as he was pumping gas. Of the folks I imaged from afar, he had the most unusual look and the blue of his outfit stood out for me. first time doing street photography with a 500mm from 150 yards away.

View attachment 1690538

Day 6, all about compression, from the top of our drive, looking down the steep hill to our front gate and mailbox, these trees are at the bottom of the hill, but are over 70-90’ tall and their bases are at the bottom of the hill. Focussing on the trees in the distance compresses the image and the main road foreground sure blurs out. I looked all day and on the drive back for the hawk on fence post opportunity, or other shots, my head was swiveling, but alas, no such luck.
View attachment 1690539

Day 7 this morning, the Canada Crook Neck squash through the fence, and yes, those are my daughters old dance tights from when she was younger. Very handy for hanging produce while growing. They last forever too since she is 30 now. Beans are drying on the vine too if you look closely.

View attachment 1690540

Good news, bad news, back home for a day, however we leave again tomorrow for Central KY to see our daughter. Once again I have the pleasure of hauling the rig. Pics will not be posted until at least Day 10 or 11.
Day 5: Maybe he thought you were with the "gubmint"?

Day 6: Great illustration of compression!

Day 7: The squash look great! And well done with the repurposing of those tights!

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
Welcome back, Wade.
Boy when you deliver, you deliver. Great range of shots and full of tasty nuggets of info.
Thanks!
What a brilliant use of the old dance tights! Perfect! Very interesting three images here -- the expression on that man's face in the first image is especially intriguing; one wonders what is on his mind, what he is thinking about as he stares so intently at the pump..... You are coming up with some diverse shots with your huge rig!
thanks Connie

Day 5: Great capture. I too am shy to do street photography. With a long lens, once can be farther away, making it easier, but if seen, you get some stares. With my 200mm (which is small with the f4 lens), I was getting stares while shooting the diner earlier in the week. One guy asked if I was a P.I. :)

Day 6: All I could think about was how hard it would be to plow and use that driveway in the Winter (from a New England point of view)

Day 7: Wonderful shoot, and amusing growing aides.
Private investigator, lol.
Ya done good while you were gone, Wade! All three images are great!
Thanks Fannie.
These three are so diverse. My favorite one is the one from the garden. I like the idea of the tights holding the squash. First time I've seen that!! Have fun on your next trip!!
Thanks, pondering images for this trip.
Day 6 compression shot is my favorite. I am a sucker for those but have yet to pull off one as nice as that.

Day 7 Never heard of that squash. Had pumpkin and spaghetti squash tho. I like the isolation it conveys
We like it even better than butternut squash, plus they last in storage well during winter.
Nice range of shots. I've seen dudes like day 5 - almost like they're hypnotized by the meter, or they're trying to get it to go faster by sheer force of will. Great re-use of materials in day 7.
He most certainly was staring at that pump.
Day 5: Maybe he thought you were with the "gubmint"?

Day 6: Great illustration of compression!

Day 7: The squash look great! And well done with the repurposing of those tights!
Ha!

Real Name
Andy
yes I got a look from a few folks as I was imaging across the street at the Costco Gas station
all about compression,
Canada Crook Neck squash through the fence, and yes, those are my daughters old dance tights from when she was younger. Very handy for hanging produce while growing.
A great trio of images showcasing what the big glass can do. It seems that every image I see from a 500mm f/4 is wildlife or sports, so it is really nice to see the compression and isolation possible with everyday subjects.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
A great trio of images showcasing what the big glass can do. It seems that every image I see from a 500mm f/4 is wildlife or sports, so it is really nice to see the compression and isolation possible with everyday subjects.
That was my primary use of the lens, so I knew this Octoberfest would be interesting using it in a manner not familiar to me.

All three are unusual Wade, especially your choice of garden accessories, although I have to say I find similar tights to be excellent for a final polish on shoes. I think your truck chappie is trying to stop the pump exactly on $50, not a cent more or less.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
Ok, travels today, arrived in Central KY after a 6 hour drive, quick visit with the daughter planned, then her University Musical, and some visit time and yes imaging to continue Saturday and Sunday. I grabbed a few interesting photos today on the trip. Even stopped the truck on a major state highway to put the “gun” up and out at a subject. No, it was not a bird or critter. A candidate for BW conversion too.

anyway, I will be sparse here the next few days besides maybe trying to comment on some threads. See you all Sunday evening Day 10 or am on Day 11. Cheers.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
Ok, I am back, and this morning, I went out and grabbed a quick image in town, and then processed all my photos from the past 3 day trip. Once again my apologies for delaying, but when you travel, you do what you have to do. I was still hardcore though, took over a 150 photos of various subjects. My journey and images follow here and also in the bucket. Also, this evening, I promise I will peruse all the images you have all posted during my travels. While I was on the cafe off and on, moderating things, while visiting my daughter I just did not have the time to spend time on viewing the Octoberfest threads. I did however want to post my images ASAP, so I can get that off my to do list. Starting day 12, I should be around besides an occasional day trip for the rest of the month.

A few things I have realized imaging with a big telephoto, handheld for 11 days. My lovely spouse Diane did not appreciate me interrupting her to pull over and image out the window when we were traveling the first day, she wanted to get to Central KY and see our daughter! I became intrigued with the various cell towers, microwave towers, and TV broadcast towers that I could image on my drive over there. I always liked capturing bridges and towers, etc, and the 500VR proved useful for this endeavor.

2nd, The 500 really is difficult to capture, even from distance, the scale of what you are shooting if imaging a scene or landscape or building. An example of distance vs your eye vs what the 500 image encompasses is over in the bucket area.

3rd as I know all to well with wildlife photography, distance is your enemy with sharpness due to atmospheric conditions, natural dust and haze. I had several images lose sharpness due to the haze, mirage, and humidity associated with our higher temps on our travel days. Surprisingly, I found clear air, over water at a local marina in KY, and also on my final travel day back home, so long distance building shots were sharp.

4th, I am very lucky and have an extremely sharp copy of my lens. I have known this since I purchased it back in 07/08, and I shoot it nearly all the time wide open at f4 because it is just as sharp wide as when the aperture is f8 or more. Plus handholding even with VR on all the time, I like higher shutter speeds. Sorry for my ramblings, onward

Day 8, as stated, tower day. Look out for a crazy dude in a Ford F250 with a telephoto lens pulled over on the shoulder of State HWYs and interstate HWYs pointing a bazooka up toward the sky. Opted for a BW conversion on my selection, a few color shots over in the bucket area.

256CB2CA-08B9-4560-964B-53A1B20BB128.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Day 9, Spouse and Daughter went their way for a few hours, I went image exploring, Green River Lake KY, near Campbellsville KY had clear atmosphere and I took advantage of the large marina and imaged these houseboats from the dam, looking down from a 1/4 mile or more away.

4EB99D15-2FF5-4CE6-B6C0-3855ADCC7DC4.jpeg

Day 10, Travel day back home, planned to visit my alma mater Southeast Missouri State University on the drive home. I planned a pic of the copper dome, and seal. But I really started missing Chris when converting the raw images this morning and I converted a second image to BW, and added a film touch and grain using my old ancient cpu and software. I miss talking on the phone with him. Please see bucket area for the Chris photo, and also see bucket area for an iPad photo of the University dome building scene and then my non cropped 500vr images for comparison.

75C972CF-BB4D-490A-8FED-F14AECACC7D5.jpeg

Day 11

Local pumpkin sales patch, brief bit of sun before the storms rolled in.

2F1159EB-7CAB-4255-9A17-7095C8C800E7.jpeg

Real Name
Paul
Ok, I am back, and this morning, I went out and grabbed a quick image in town, and then processed all my photos from the past 3 day trip. Once again my apologies for delaying, but when you travel, you do what you have to do. I was still hardcore though, took over a 150 photos of various subjects. My journey and images follow here and also in the bucket. Also, this evening, I promise I will peruse all the images you have all posted during my travels. While I was on the cafe off and on, moderating things, while visiting my daughter I just did not have the time to spend time on viewing the Octoberfest threads. I did however want to post my images ASAP, so I can get that off my to do list. Starting day 12, I should be around besides an occasional day trip for the rest of the month.

A few things I have realized imaging with a big telephoto, handheld for 11 days. My lovely spouse Diane did not appreciate me interrupting her to pull over and image out the window when we were traveling the first day, she wanted to get to Central KY and see our daughter! I became intrigued with the various cell towers, microwave towers, and TV broadcast towers that I could image on my drive over there. I always liked capturing bridges and towers, etc, and the 500VR proved useful for this endeavor.

2nd, The 500 really is difficult to capture, even from distance, the scale of what you are shooting if imaging a scene or landscape or building. An example of distance vs your eye vs what the 500 image encompasses is over in the bucket area.

3rd as I know all to well with wildlife photography, distance is your enemy with sharpness due to atmospheric conditions, natural dust and haze. I had several images lose sharpness due to the haze, mirage, and humidity associated with our higher temps on our travel days. Surprisingly, I found clear air, over water at a local marina in KY, and also on my final travel day back home, so long distance building shots were sharp.

4th, I am very lucky and have an extremely sharp copy of my lens. I have known this since I purchased it back in 07/08, and I shoot it nearly all the time wide open at f4 because it is just as sharp wide as when the aperture is f8 or more. Plus handholding even with VR on all the time, I like higher shutter speeds. Sorry for my ramblings, onward

Day 8, as stated, tower day. Look out for a crazy dude in a Ford F250 with a telephoto lens pulled over on the shoulder of State HWYs and interstate HWYs pointing a bazooka up toward the sky. Opted for a BW conversion on my selection, a few color shots over in the bucket area.

View attachment 1690867

Day 9, Spouse and Daughter went their way for a few hours, I went image exploring, Green River Lake KY, near Campbellsville KY had clear atmosphere and I took advantage of the large marina and imaged these houseboats from the dam, looking down from a 1/4 mile or more away.

View attachment 1690868

Day 10, Travel day back home, planned to visit my alma mater Southeast Missouri State University on the drive home. I planned a pic of the copper dome, and seal. But I really started missing Chris when converting the raw images this morning and I converted a second image to BW, and added a film touch and grain using my old ancient cpu and software. I miss talking on the phone with him. Please see bucket area for the Chris photo, and also see bucket area for an iPad photo of the University dome building scene and then my non cropped 500vr images for comparison.

View attachment 1690869

Day 11

Local pumpkin sales patch, brief bit of sun before the storms rolled in.

View attachment 1690871
Day 8 - Great composition and angle. The B&W works well to show the industrial look of the tower.

Day 9 - What a mass of boats.

Day 10 - Great shot of the top of the dome.

Day 11 - Nice transition from the trip to home. Very good collections of diverse shots!

Quite the collection. I particularly like the cell tower even though they are kind of a blight on the landscape. The camera and lens combo are certainly sharp and render images really well.

I drive my wife crazy as well when we are out for a drive and I slam on the brakes and back up to capture some thing that caught my eye.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
What a diverse set, Wade. The cellphone tower is great as is the shot of the marina. My fave of these has to be those pumpkins: xlnt depth of field and clarity.
That was the hardest because of the focus range.
Probably the most diverse, non wildlife/sports images shot with a 500 ever, and very well I must add! The detail and colors are intoxicating!
Thanks!
You did really well with your bazooka under such different circumstances! Trying to shoot something every day while being as busy as one usually is when traveling is a real challenge! Glad you're back home safe and sound now and I like all of your images.....
Thanks Connie.
Day 8 - Great composition and angle. The B&W works well to show the industrial look of the tower.

Day 9 - What a mass of boats.

Day 10 - Great shot of the top of the dome.

Day 11 - Nice transition from the trip to home. Very good collections of diverse shots!
Thanks
Quite the collection. I particularly like the cell tower even though they are kind of a blight on the landscape. The camera and lens combo are certainly sharp and render images really well.

I drive my wife crazy as well when we are out for a drive and I slam on the brakes and back up to capture some thing that caught my eye.
yes, our spouses have to put up with a lot.

Phil K

Real Name
Phil
D8, 9, 10, 11 - Great set. Showpieces of how sharp the lens is, and great demonstration of the compression effect of a long tele.

Latest threads

Top Bottom