2021 Octoberfest - Wade (Commodorefirst) - Nikon D3S, 500 f4 VR Handheld - Hardcore - Finis - Day31

D26
Ok, next project, (which was a favorite with my iPad,) are still life objects on my Yamaha grand Piano. The gloss black and reflections are usually very nice. However, This may not go as planned. The difficulty arises in the piano location and getting the best reflections vs shooting distances and angles.

A bottle of my favorite wine on top did not work, same with items inside the grand with lid raised, I just did not have enough working distance. Today I ended up placing a few pocket knives on the keys, and shot at an angle. Still contemplating a shot for tomorrow. This was difficult too because of the metering and highlights with white vs black surfaces.

View attachment 1692166

My knees did not like my wood floor, needed for this angle. Ouch.
Well it certainly worked and worked well. I suspect Gordon will approve of this one too. Perhaps what you need is a carefully placed mirror, allowing you to take an image of at least one of your own hands on the keys.

Wow, this is quite the creative challenge, all the way around! Whew! Those knives look sharp! Situated against the white keys and the glossy black really shows them off and also to the unwary, would be a surprise: "what are those knives doing on a piano keyboard?!" LOL! I can't imagine how difficult it was to actually get the shot -- good grief!

Real Name
Andy
A bottle of my favorite wine on top did not work, same with items inside the grand with lid raised, I just did not have enough working distance. Today I ended up placing a few pocket knives on the keys, and shot at an angle.
It must truly be a challenge to maneuver around inside to get any compositions using the big gun.

Real Name
Paul
D26
Ok, next project, (which was a favorite with my iPad,) are still life objects on my Yamaha grand Piano. The gloss black and reflections are usually very nice. However, This may not go as planned. The difficulty arises in the piano location and getting the best reflections vs shooting distances and angles.

A bottle of my favorite wine on top did not work, same with items inside the grand with lid raised, I just did not have enough working distance. Today I ended up placing a few pocket knives on the keys, and shot at an angle. Still contemplating a shot for tomorrow. This was difficult too because of the metering and highlights with white vs black surfaces.

View attachment 1692166

Nice job, using the 500mm, making things very challenging. Composition and DoF are spot on.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
Nicely controlled dof—having it land squarely on the front (more detailed) knife was so smart. Chris would approve!
Thanks, i think he would.
Well it certainly worked and worked well. I suspect Gordon will approve of this one too. Perhaps what you need is a carefully placed mirror, allowing you to take an image of at least one of your own hands on the keys.
Hmmm, interesting idea.
Wow, this is quite the creative challenge, all the way around! Whew! Those knives look sharp! Situated against the white keys and the glossy black really shows them off and also to the unwary, would be a surprise: "what are those knives doing on a piano keyboard?!" LOL! I can't imagine how difficult it was to actually get the shot -- good grief!

usually one lives in my pocket, including flashlight in other pocket.

Finely crafted and unusual subject. Too many jokes but here goes: That is one sharp photo! Is one of those keys an F Sharp! ?.

I am not allowed to touch our piano…well maybe If I am careful.
haha. Regarding piano touching, my daughter learned early on about smudging the finish right after I waxed the piano, yes, I use high end carnuba car wax on my gloss exterior finish.
It must truly be a challenge to maneuver around inside to get any compositions using the big gun.
Having an open concept dining, living, kitchen area allows some wiggle room, but the piano location is tough.
Nice job, using the 500mm, making things very challenging. Composition and DoF are spot on.
Thanks, I hear Tim is going to use his new 600 next year, lol. ;) I will see if he sees this post.

Test day. How slow and low can I go? After 50+ attempts at various shutter speeds, the answer is 1/6 second with VR normal, handheld, standing, with good breathing. Good practice for upcoming indoor still life subjects on my piano.
Imaged from across the room, a pic of our dining hutch with the hand hammered latches and pulls, thought the lead glass behind gave an interesting color aspect too.

D25
View attachment 1692095

An interesting photograph. Only 50 tries? I would never get there with that beast,

D26

View attachment 1692166

What an unusual combination! I like it - and Chris certainly would have also. Do the engaged keys create a particular chord?

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
What an unusual combination! I like it - and Chris certainly would have also. Do the engaged keys create a particular chord?
Not a chord, (three or more notes played simultaneously, or implied chords with 2 different notes sometimes doubled) but an interval (distance between two notes played consecutively or together). Here I pointed to A and E, a P4 or Perfect Fourth interval.

ding ding, you win the music theory prize!

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
Back at the Piano again, this time was a little better, but I think it will be the last day with these Piano background still life images. To much like work, and as stated prior the working space and angles are tough.

A trio of my collectible special metal run led flashlights. Solid Copper, Titanium, and Brass. Normally they machine and assemble the units in anodized aluminum, but they occasionally produce limited runs in special materials.

I ended up placing them very close together to have all three in focus. I tried a wider spread shooting at f8 and f5.6 but could only get one at a time in focus. (those shots are in the bucket area.) Shot at about a 30 degree side angle.

The lighting control to avoid reflection spots on the background and blown highlights on the flashlights was relegated to a combination of interior and natural lighting from the early am sun through the windows.

I carry a flashlight in my pocket 100% of the time. Why? Story in the bucket area.

CB457C38-0957-4E90-A563-95F8DE61566E.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
Nice....I haven't even tried to handhold a shot with my 600mm yet so have to give you kudos for this entire series.... :D
Thanks, the overall length and weight of your new magnesium 600 vs my older 500 are identical. I almost upgraded, but the cost was prohibitive. Plus I have a very sharp copy, and do not shoot commercially and sell wildlife images as much anymore. Still thought long and hard about it, 900mm at f5.6 is awesome. (From friends who have the older 600vr.)

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
Another sharp handheld photo. Amazing.
Thanks Jim
Sharp as a hand-held bazooka! Bravo!
Ha, bazookas sharp? Lol.
Sharp and beautiful.
Thanks Phil,
Wow, such elegant flashlights! Your handholding skills are astonishing -- sharp as tacks, these are, and no focus-stacking tricks employed, either! Very interesting shot! The piano makes a terrific backdrop for them.
Yes, no ps tricks or stacking, because part of my challenge is also using the 12 year old Nikon NC Capture Software too on the old G5
I am so impressed at your handholding skills. Plus, those flashlights are beautiful.
Yes, they are like my jewelry, pocket knives, flashlights, and watches,

Latest threads

Top Bottom