2021 Octoberfest - Wade (Commodorefirst) - Nikon D3S, 500 f4 VR Handheld - Hardcore - Finis - Day31

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
That is fantastic, Wade, and I truly tip my hat off to you. Never in a million years did I think you'd be able to do 30 days with that bazooka of a lens. You've proven we wrong. Not only did you complete the meme, the images you brought forth using it were fantastic. Well done, my friend...

My final shot. I really tried to channel my friend Chris’s passion for thinking outside the box. That is also why I challenged myself this Octoberfest by using my longest lens handheld, and why I used 13 year old software on a 16 year old Apple G5 machine to process the raw images.

I miss my occasional phone calls to Chris, and our more frequent written messages to each other. As a fellow educator we enjoyed chatting about our teaching situations, family, etc. He was a mentor back in my early moderating and admin days on the Cafe, and he always supported all cafe members in so many ways. From moderating to hosting so many photo events/challenges/threads, his general comments, and thoughts regarding film cameras, film type, film use, plus so many other things I am forgetting to mention. Guess I am a bit emotional with this post, please forgive my verbosity.

Day31
Image of a chess set backlit by strong morning window light. The morning light is reflected in a mirror located behind the set. About 20’ shooting distance. Camera settings to get a near silhouette which I then converted to B&W. I am happy that my finis image of Octoberfest is one that was inspired by a friend.

View attachment 1692580
Wonderful finale and great tribute to Chris with the shot. You shows some fantastic shots with the 500mm, especially handheld!

What a wonderful and unique way to wrap up your definitely unique approach to this project! Chris is grinning and nodding with pride...... You set out to do something rather ambitious and by gum, you got through the entire month shooting with that bazooka, day after day, and each image was interesting and different! And then you upped the ante for yourself (and us) by not only shooting with what most would believe an impossible lens for the job -- especially since there wasn't an eagle or bird in sight! -- but you took the challenge further by using your older camera AND older computer and software to do the processing! Yikes, that editing would've been daunting, but you tackled it and conquered it! Kudos to you, Wade, for a project well done!

Test day. How slow and low can I go? After 50+ attempts at various shutter speeds, the answer is 1/6 second with VR normal, handheld, standing, with good breathing. Good practice for upcoming indoor still life subjects on my piano.
Imaged from across the room, a pic of our dining hutch with the hand hammered latches and pulls, thought the lead glass behind gave an interesting color aspect too.

D25
View attachment 1692095

Excellent handhold with that beastie!

D26
Ok, next project, (which was a favorite with my iPad,) are still life objects on my Yamaha grand Piano. The gloss black and reflections are usually very nice. However, This may not go as planned. The difficulty arises in the piano location and getting the best reflections vs shooting distances and angles.

A bottle of my favorite wine on top did not work, same with items inside the grand with lid raised, I just did not have enough working distance. Today I ended up placing a few pocket knives on the keys, and shot at an angle. Still contemplating a shot for tomorrow. This was difficult too because of the metering and highlights with white vs black surfaces.

View attachment 1692166

My knees did not like my wood floor, needed for this angle. Ouch.

Nice. Interesting backdrop - flats and sharps on subject and background. Can't quite make out the markings, Benchamde?

My knees offer sympathy for yours.

Back at the Piano again, this time was a little better, but I think it will be the last day with these Piano background still life images. To much like work, and as stated prior the working space and angles are tough.

A trio of my collectible special metal run led flashlights. Solid Copper, Titanium, and Brass. Normally they machine and assemble the units in anodized aluminum, but they occasionally produce limited runs in special materials.

I ended up placing them very close together to have all three in focus. I tried a wider spread shooting at f8 and f5.6 but could only get one at a time in focus. (those shots are in the bucket area.) Shot at about a 30 degree side angle.

The lighting control to avoid reflection spots on the background and blown highlights on the flashlights was relegated to a combination of interior and natural lighting from the early am sun through the windows.

I carry a flashlight in my pocket 100% of the time. Why? Story in the bucket area.

View attachment 1692248

Nice! Again, impressive with the handhold and working in the tight (for 500mm) space inside.

I always have a flashlight when I'm out as well. And have several laying around the apartment within easy reach. I've moved back to metal lights. So far, brass is the only non-aluminum I have.

Cheat day, meaning, being lazy and just imaged something very fast without planning. I am leaving now as I post this for a few days. I will be back Saturday for the final two days. Have to carry the bazooka when traveling for the Friday image.

This is a canvas print image on my wall in my home. The Comet (Lovejoy 2015) I took in early 2015 With my 500VR and D3s while on a astronomical mount. Yes it was multiple stacked images of shorter durations, aligned, and processed in Photoshop and a friends stacking software.

This shot of the wall mounted canvas was handheld and I used the old software and cpu as I challenged myself to do this month. Simply converted from Raw. Was interesting to see the texture of the canvas come through the image.

D28
View attachment 1692354

Cool shot of a cool shot.

Ok, just back home, converted raw image from yesterday, snapped a quick one today of Diane’s broccoli harvest, and it figures, I found a way to get above things. My stairs to the second floor in our house. Grrrrr. Placed her stainless bowl on the landing below, and how about that, far enough away to focus. Would have liked to figure that out earlier in the month.

These last three days I am really trying to channel Chris and his style. He was not always about black and white, but also colors and color film, older Polaroid, etc, weird angles, shadows, blurs, he was eclectic.

Day 29

View attachment 1692502

D30, processed with vignette, color, blur, cropped etc, etc. to emulate old school film In NX Capture. BW in bucket.
View attachment 1692503

29 - neat subject, B&W works perfectly for this.

30 - wonderful broccoli bowl. :hungry:

My final shot. I really tried to channel my friend Chris’s passion for thinking outside the box. That is also why I challenged myself this Octoberfest by using my longest lens handheld, and why I used 13 year old software on a 16 year old Apple G5 machine to process the raw images.

I miss my occasional phone calls to Chris, and our more frequent written messages to each other. As a fellow educator we enjoyed chatting about our teaching situations, family, etc. He was a mentor back in my early moderating and admin days on the Cafe, and he always supported all cafe members in so many ways. From moderating to hosting so many photo events/challenges/threads, his general comments, and thoughts regarding film cameras, film type, film use, plus so many other things I am forgetting to mention. Guess I am a bit emotional with this post, please forgive my verbosity.

Day31
Image of a chess set backlit by strong morning window light. The morning light is reflected in a mirror located behind the set. About 20’ shooting distance. Camera settings to get a near silhouette which I then converted to B&W. I am happy that my finis image of Octoberfest is one that was inspired by a friend.

View attachment 1692580

Wonderful thoughts about Chris. Cool shot of the chess set.

Certainly been fun following a 500mm thread. :D You can give your arms (and knees, and back, and shoulders...) a break for a while now.

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
A wonderful tribute to Chris and a fine image for the END of this challenge! Well done, my friend!
Thanks Karen
That is fantastic, Wade, and I truly tip my hat off to you. Never in a million years did I think you'd be able to do 30 days with that bazooka of a lens. You've proven we wrong. Not only did you complete the meme, the images you brought forth using it were fantastic. Well done, my friend...
Thanks Fannie
I love your thoughts about Chris. He truly made a difference here. You do, too! You finished up strong and inspired us all with your 500mm shots.
Thanks Terri, you also make a difference!
A truly humbling body of work, Wade, and so inspirational. Thanks for showing us the way.
Nope, I do not image enough, it was good to get off my behind, you all showed me the way.
Wonderful finale and great tribute to Chris with the shot. You shows some fantastic shots with the 500mm, especially handheld!
Thanks, appreciate your much to kind words.
What a wonderful and unique way to wrap up your definitely unique approach to this project! Chris is grinning and nodding with pride...... You set out to do something rather ambitious and by gum, you got through the entire month shooting with that bazooka, day after day, and each image was interesting and different! And then you upped the ante for yourself (and us) by not only shooting with what most would believe an impossible lens for the job -- especially since there wasn't an eagle or bird in sight! -- but you took the challenge further by using your older camera AND older computer and software to do the processing! Yikes, that editing would've been daunting, but you tackled it and conquered it! Kudos to you, Wade, for a project well done!
Thanks Connie, many pleasant walks on that new path! Lol.
Excellent reproduction of the Chris "style".
Thanks Jim, hats off to the fungi master.
Excellent handhold with that beastie!

Nice. Interesting backdrop - flats and sharps on subject and background. Can't quite make out the markings, Benchamde?

My knees offer sympathy for yours.
Yes Benchmade Valet M390, and an older Benchmade 705 limited edition that is 20 years old
Nice! Again, impressive with the handhold and working in the tight (for 500mm) space inside.

I always have a flashlight when I'm out as well. And have several laying around the apartment within easy reach. I've moved back to metal lights. So far, brass is the only non-aluminum I have.

Cool shot of a cool shot.
Great minds think alike regarding flashlights!
29 - neat subject, B&W works perfectly for this.

30 - wonderful broccoli bowl. :hungry:

Wonderful thoughts about Chris. Cool shot of the chess set.

Certainly been fun following a 500mm thread. :D You can give your arms (and knees, and back, and shoulders...) a break for a while now.
Yes, I plan all parts and joints to have a rest.
Awesome idea and tribute, buddy. Very impressed by everything you've contributed throughout the month.
Same to you, you have some wonderful vistas out near you. Your imagery ws great and eclectic. Talk to you soon.

Real Name
Andy
Day31
Very nicely done, and your thread has been an inspiration. I'm just glad you didn't attempt with your 500 what @Phil K did for his final image, which was also a tribute to one of Chris's techniques!

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
Very nicely done, and your thread has been an inspiration. I'm just glad you didn't attempt with your 500 what @Phil K did for his final image, which was also a tribute to one of Chris's techniques!
No doubt, that would be tragic. Sure did enjoy Phil’s final image.

Day31

View attachment 1692580
That has come out really nicely Wade. I've been really impressed with what you've managed to do with that lens this month, especially as I can't ever see me wanting to lug that much kit around personally. Hat tip to you.

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Thank you Café teamster...
It was an interesting month and I enjoyed your pictures a lot.

Kind regards
Klaus

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
Excellent reproduction of the Chris "style".

That has come out really nicely Wade. I've been really impressed with what you've managed to do with that lens this month, especially as I can't ever see me wanting to lug that much kit around personally. Hat tip to you.

Thank you Café teamster...
It was an interesting month and I enjoyed your pictures a lot.

Kind regards
Klaus

A fitting and touching post. The finale is superb composition and a lesson in planning and execution.
Jim, Ron, Klaus, John, thanks so much for the kind words. I truly “mostly” enjoyed the challenge, the longer trip was difficult, but plan to participate again with a smaller kit next time. :)

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom