2021 Octoberfest - warth man - D500 + 135mmf2DC - Day 17

The sculpture is so interesting. I bet it makes you smile whenever you see it. On the boat on the shore photo, the red pops of color really make the photo! Very enjoyable photos to view!

12 - that is an interesting stone, great timing for upcoming spooky night.

13 - very nice, not used to seeing beached boats.

Day 13 another very appealing image. Good scale / compression effect for me. I like the nice red pops from the buoys.
Thanks John. Yes, the reds do pop and I quite liked that - apart from the one over the other side of the estuary. However I left it in "because it's there."
The sculpture sort of reminds of the Fremont Troll in Seattle, Washington!
And the sailboat image is lovely - ohhh yes!
Thank you Lyndee. Seems you can find trolls everywhere these days! Glad you liked the boat pic.
Wonderful shot Ron!
Thank you Paul.
Wonderful shot of the boats at the water's edge....... Nice composition with the community of houses across the water on the other side, too, adding balance and more color.
Thanks Connie. Don't often see boats pulled out here, perhaps because what looks like sand isn't - it's mud. Not uncommon over here.
A most inviting scene. Dull but with a splash of color and some dynamic lines!
Thanks Nick. You're right - a brighter day would have been good.
Lovely scene, well-spotted and shot. The red bits, including the one across the water, really liven things up.
Thank you Eric. I actually went down for a viaduct pic but liked the fact that the boat was there. The viaduct pic is now for another day!
Great composition.
Thanks Andy.
I like how you added the bouys to the scene…. They really added to the image. I know that dragging and placing them took this nice image and made it sing. Ok, ok, enough fun. Well done.
I know what you mean Wade. More would have been better but I was worried about getting stuck in the mud with an incoming tide. It can come in really fast here too.
What a lovely scene. Beautiful composition of the boat, the bouys and the distant background.
Thanks Phil. Appreciated.
The boat makes the photo here. It certainly is a different scene from those in your previous postings.

Must have been low tide.
Thank you Jim. Yes, felt like a change and I'll probably drop back there. It's only about 8 miles away.

The sculpture is so interesting. I bet it makes you smile whenever you see it. On the boat on the shore photo, the red pops of color really make the photo! Very enjoyable photos to view!
It's nice to know that you liked them Terri. I have to say I prefer this to your snow but no doubt we'll get ours in due course.
Very cool scene, we don’t often see boats beached at low tide over here. Seems to be much more common in the UK and northern Europe.
12 - that is an interesting stone, great timing for upcoming spooky night.

13 - very nice, not used to seeing beached boats.
Thank you John and Gordon. Beached boats are common here. They are usually pretty well protected underneath. This particular boat looks as if it might be from a range by an outfit called Character Boats, based in the Fylde area of Lancashire. They make sturdy fibreglass models based on well-proven designs from the past. I keep being tempted by their 15 foot rowing boat which would be ideal for just getting out on the water or fishing in the lakes. Haven't done either for a few years now but used to enjoy it.

Last edited:
Day 14. In between taking photographs, we had a few logs to stack. Family activity! Still more to do but awaiting a couple more tarpaulins. Such fun! Ten shots, stitched.

51588109203_f6eec7c6e2_h.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Logs by warth man, on Flickr

PS I won't be offering a "Guess the number" game.

Day 14. In between taking photographs, we had a few logs to stack. Family activity! Still more to do but awaiting a couple more tarpaulins. Such fun! Ten shots, stitched.

View attachment 1691123 Logs by warth man, on Flickr

PS I won't be offering a "Guess the number" game.
Nice done. It appears to be a lot. How many cords of wood do you usually go through in a Winter? I'm happy with my (expensive) propane. :)

Why not? Didn't you count them yourself?
We lost count owing to dog interruptions. They thought it was a great game and kept finding logs to run off with.
Great shot, and perfect for the season. Warms me up just looking at it (y)
Should last a while. I have a two or three yards in my log store too which will probably do this winter.
Already split too! Excellent
They weren't but a man and his tractor PTO and me throwing them all into heaps did that a couple of months ago.

That's a whole lotta logs!!! The stitching is impeccable -- one would think, looking at it, that it had been taken as one single, very wide shot!
Actually I usually find the stitching in Lightroom works well and is easy to use.
That's a lot of lignin! Are you forecasting a prolonged winter? Seamless stitching, Ron.
They will definitely do me more than one winter Eric. We have another two trees identified with die-back but I'm leaving them for now to see if they fight it off.
stitching is a lot of work but nothing like cutting the wood.
Thanks Allan. Very, very true! However, as I said in answer to Connie's comment, I find the Lightroom facility easy to use (only a couple of clicks) and it seems to do a good job. If, that is, you are talking about photographic stitching. Needle and thread jobs take me ages.
Wow, that is a quite a stack! You know the saying - firewood warms you twice - once when you cut it then again in the fireplace. Perhaps adding in stacking, this will warm you all three times!
You're definitely right about stacking John. In my case I would add a fourth time. I will have to cart these up to my log store near the house as needed.
Nice done. It appears to be a lot. How many cords of wood do you usually go through in a Winter? I'm happy with my (expensive) propane. :)
Hi Paul. We have oil-fired central heating too so don't need to burn logs to heat the house, at least normally. Normal usage would be to take the edge off any chill during the variable Spring and Autumn days without switching the oil system on and also as a focal point in the sitting room at any time from Autumn through to Spring. I hedged my bets by installing a log burner to which saddle tanks can be fitted to heat water for central heating but have not gone that far yet. We will use two or three cubic yards a year, so this will last a long time. Having said that, my daughter lives down the hill and she will be using some as well.
Just a few logs, eh?

Great image!
Yes, just a few Lyndee. After your last image you can have some as a reward.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom