20mm f/2.8 Ais

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Rui Lopes, May 24, 2007.

1. I'm new to this forum and this is my 1st. post. I own the 18-200VR, 10-20 SIGMA, 35 f/2 and 28 2.8 Ais among others. Right now I'm lusting for a 20MM 2.8Ais (MF) in good conditon to shoot landscapes and/or monuments. I read that the lens keep straight lines straight which is not the case of the 18-200. Do you think it gonna be a good option? Or may be I am just ill, suffering from lens lust. Does any one own the lens? How do you rate it?
    Thanks and Regards to all the forum
    Rui Lopes

2. I have the AF version. This is not a lens that keeps straight lines straight. I don't see how the AIS version can either. Just use the great 35mm that you already have is my recommendation.

3. califlefty

califlefty

Apr 7, 2006
    This is a GREAT lens! It will give a "flat" perspective as long as the camera is not tilted from parallel to the subject matter. The lens uses the "CRC" floating element design for great close-ups. Bjorn rating is 4.5. Historical overview is here: http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/nikkoresources/ultrawides/20mm.htm

I would not hesitate buying a good specimen of this lens.

4. 20mm Ais - Thanks for the advices

Thank you guys for your advices. And, Califlefty, thanks for the link. What a good review! Thanks again.

5. I have this lens and flat recommend it - it is very good.

6. I believe 1unknown has the 20mm for sale. I just bought a 28mm from him

7. patrickh41

patrickh41 Guest

The Nikon USA site has just been updated to show that they do still actually manufacture this lens. You can buy it new from any of the major dealers, as well as find it on ebay and similar outlets.

8. Thank you guys. I'll definitelly go for it.