1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

$2399.95 70-200 VRII says CNET

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Bryan Pritchard, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Racerm

Racerm

Oct 10, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Holy crap!

2. Average Joe

Average Joe

May 19, 2009
    here
    wow that's alot of $$

3. Ridiculous. Nikon can shove it, if I get this lens I'm going to find every way I can to get it on the cheap and circumvent Nikon's over inflated prices.

4. jonh68

jonh68

Sep 21, 2008
    Alabama
    I image the street price will be a little lower, but not by much.

5. morcguy

morcguy

Dec 29, 2006
    Minnesota
    Same MSRP on Nikon site.

SMOG.

6. rampur

rampur Guest

give me a break...

7. Ritz sells the former one for $2100...not that much of an increase for a "smaller" but "heavier" lens.

8. LSSE

LSSE Guest

what was the outgoing model priced at during release?

9. $1795 was the cheapest used to be like $1547 but Nikon jacked their prices in March

10. Of course B&H Adorama and Roberts will have it cheaper that Ritz or Wolf or any brick and mortar stores Im sure I be about $2095 or $2100

11. LSSE

LSSE Guest

so that's quite a hike even considering the short supply and currency. I see the yen floating at 95 to the dollar, down from way over 100 just last year. I say it is dissapointing but not unexpected to see all things japanese becoming more expensive.

12. daniyarm

daniyarm

Jan 2, 2009
    Tucson, AZ
    Maybe some dealers will have nice prices on Ebay just before Christmas, and hopefully MS keeps their Live cashback program. At that price you can $200 off.

13. Time for Nikon to start making these in the US I mean the Japanese do everything else so why not Cameras????

14. Preston

Preston

May 2, 2005
    Reno, NV
    There is NO WAY that this new 70-200 is THAT much better than the old one.

15. Guess NANO coating is like Gold Dust? or something form Mork and Mindy ;) 

16. Wow. Too rich for my blood by a long shot. I don't know how they can expect anyone to afford that in this economy, much less pro photogs.

I get emails from local pros asking if they can shoot for us at the student newspaper for some extra money because times are so tough. The local paper has already laid off one of their 5 photo staffers.

My 70-200 does quite nicely, and while I like the new design and the MTF looks fantastic, it won't be in my near future.

17. ....wow that's...expensive.

18. Dude, photogs are broke nowadays. Before photogs would talk about getting big shots and raking in the dough. Now it's about just getting bills paid, roof over your head, etc.

19. wilvoeka

wilvoeka

Jul 4, 2008
    Ohio
    I purchased mine new at a local dealer last year for $1579.

Looking at the new model it is just like the Canon and Sigma, shorter and fatter.

The vignetting may be a bit better, but I bet it will be just like the Canon and Sigma and not be nearly as sharp wide open as the previous model.

IF the newer one loses a bit of sharpness wide open for the sake of vignetting, the used prices for the older model will go up even more once new stock is sold out.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.