$2399.95 70-200 VRII says CNET

With 7 ED elements and a 4.5 feet minimum focus and better VR rounded diaphragm blades for smoother bokkeh. The new 70-200 2.8 ED VR 2 sounds like a winner. I just got to play with the old version :tongue: of the 70-200 2.8 AF VR for the first time today. I was impressed how fast it focused and it's lack of hunting in low room light. The captures where sharp. If the new one is even better, and Im sure it will be. Pro's will be jump all over it. The extra price is regrettable but not surprising. Besides, Nikon"needs" the money to make some fast primes like the 24 1.4 , 35 1.4 , ...oo

Gotta wait and see how the new kid performs. I kinda' like the look better. Shorter is good, IMO, even if its a bit heavier. VRII, SWS, 7 ED glass elements, Nano-pixie dust.
MTF looks promising... 9 blades...bokeh to die for? Can't wait to see a professional review. 2.4k against 2.1k... Is its IQ worth 300 more???

With 7 ED elements and a 4.5 feet minimum focus and better VR rounded diaphragm blades for smoother bokkeh. The new 70-200 2.8 ED VR 2 sounds like a winner. ...
I'm sure that the new lens will perform better. However, the old lens also had 9 rounded blades, and a 4.6 feet minimum focus. So no / hardly any improvements in those departments with the new lens.

It is a new optical formula with two more ED elements than before. I would expect the new lens's performance to be stellar, to match the price tag.

Nikon's MTF charts for the new lens suggest that it's more optimized for the tele end, so that's a good start.

It's not the 70-200 VR II funding future R&D it's the 18-200 VR II!
Maybe so, but a brilliant 70-200 will fund the D4. This is the pros. workhorse.
A 70-200 that sets the benchmark for the rest (as nikon claims) will make (non-nikon) pro heads turn and take notice.:smile:
Gotta wait and see how it performs. Might be like another 14-24.:biggrin:

Bill:Sorry my bad.
It's still a light weight compared to the 4 pound 3 oz Nikkor 80-200 2.8 ED AIS. And I "want" to see at least a 96 mm filter ring. Not this wimpy 77mm.
I wonder if this version will be dark on the corner's like the last version:rolleyes:. Im sorry I had to say it. Don't flame me, Im just being cheeky. Nikon rocks.

IF the newer one loses a bit of sharpness wide open for the sake of vignetting, the used prices for the older model will go up even more once new stock is sold out.
If it does lose a bit of sharpness wide open for the sake of the corner performance, I think it'll be debatable on whether or not that's a good thing or not.

The corner characteristics of the previous version left much to be desired for those who predominantly do landscapes and architecture. I've rented two different copies and both performed rather dismally at the long end. Not even stopping down to around f/11 would make it a non-issue, though there could be some sample variation here as I have seen copies that seems to clear up for the most part at f/11. That being said, it IS fantastically sharp in the center.

I don't know. I don't think I personally would have a problem with losing a bit of sharpness in the center wide open if it would mean the corners were improved a lot, granted I do mostly landscapes so corner performance I personally think is rather important. However I bet those two predominantly do portrait work would take issue to that.

Bill: Like I said, Im just being cheeky and yes I do agree nikon has been pumping out some fine variable focus lenses as of late. But the standard is set long before the new breed. Remember the nikkor 200-400 4 ED-IF AIS and the best damn zoom lens ever built, the mighty 80-200 2.8 ED AIS. At least in my books. Im sure others will have there own opinion. I wonder what people will say is better in 25 years?. Time will tell.
The simple fact is new nikkor glass is "here today, gone later today". to quote David Lee Roth. Look at the little 10 with arrows going in both directions on all the new plastic crap they build now if you want proof.
Old Nikkor's are built to last, the new one's are built to be replaced. When all is said and done, and the auto focus wheezes and dies and the VR is silent, this one is no different.

Old Nikkor's are built to last, the new one's are built to be replaced. When all is said and done, and the auto focus wheezes and dies and the VR is silent, this one is no different.
When VR is silent and AF dies... it becomes a MF lens just like the great 80-200 AIS.:smile: Well, maybe bulkier!

Well the only thing I'm happy about is that the price will be a deterrent for me for a long time lol. Otherwise, I guess I'll be having a blast with my old 70-200.

Maybe so, but a brilliant 70-200 will fund the D4. This is the pros. workhorse.
A 70-200 that sets the benchmark for the rest (as nikon claims) will make (non-nikon) pro heads turn and take notice.:smile:
Gotta wait and see how it performs. Might be like another 14-24.:biggrin:
I'm sure it's going to great, that's no doubt. I have a feeling they're releasing this lens to future proof it for the increase of megapixels and sensor refinement. Though I think most of us won't notice much of an improvement at the current 12mp resolution on FX or DX.

I'm sure that the new lens will perform better. However, the old lens also had 9 rounded blades, and a 4.6 feet minimum focus. So no / hardly any improvements in those departments with the new lens.
...and the old version looks so sexy compared to the new one (the new one lost the golden plate and as far as I see it the focus memory buttons...).

Welcome to our world. The current 70-200 is £1450 right now (and more typically £1550) which is $2378 today.

Our RRP (which is what CNet are quoting here) is £1999 for the new version, so try $3280 on for size....

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom