24-120 VR on the way......Received

Lens lust got the best of me a I ordered a 24-120 VR today. I'm really lusting for "The Beast", but I kept the lust under a little control and settled for the 24-120.

Will it ever end? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Real Name
Chris
Scott, you're not really settling. The 24-120vr is a great lens in it's own right - quite different from the Beast (tm) in many regards. What this means is that you will also need the Beast.

Seriously, I hope you enjoy your new lens, just remember, give the VR time to settle in (a half second or so, and don't expect VR to replace good hand-holding technique.

sbuttrick said:
Lens lust got the best of me a I ordered a 24-120 VR today. I'm really lusting for "The Beast", but I kept the lust under a little control and settled for the 24-120.

Will it ever end? :confused:

Nope! You will be happy with the 24-120VR for a while and then the Beast will call your name. :biggrin: Seriously, it is a great walk around lens. I sold my D70 kit and the 24-120VR lens to my brother. I wanted him to have a little more flexibility than just the 18-70. Hope you enjoy the lens! :wink:

Somehow I agree with the above comments, I had a lens lust on Nikon 200 mm AF Micro but settle with Sigma 180mm Macro. Now I get both Sigma 180mm and Nikon 200mm :biggrin: Nikon 24-120 VR is a fine lense, you will like it but the lust of getting the Beast will hang around :smile:

Thanks Everyone, and you are all correct. I received the 24-120 last Friday and took some prelim shots this weekend. It's a very nice lens, but Breast lust is still there. The shots I took this weekend looked pretty good, better than I thought they would. They are sharp and the color contrast is pretty good, but they do seem to lack the crispness that my "Pro" lenses have. I bought it as mainly a walk around lens and for that it should work well. I'll post a few shots later.

I think the 24-120mm is the ideal focal range for a walkaround lens. Unfortunately the copy that I tried was soft at apertures below f8 compared to my 18-70DX. I am glad that you got a sharp copy. I might try a new one myself sometime as it is a perfect solution for a vacation lens when you don't want to travel heavy.

Looking forward to your shots with the 24-120VR.

Regards,

Here are a couple of samples. Our local airport had a big event this weekeng in rememberence of 911.

49175168.MissCash.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

49175170.Plane.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

PGB

paintman said:
Sorry but Scott misspelled beast lust in his post on the 12th and I couldn't resist.

hehe, no problem. My entire office laughed histerically.

Thanks,

Latest threads

Top Bottom