24-120 VR or 24-70/2.8 for IR ?

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by Butlerkid, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Background: I'm going on a major trip and am trying to keep the weight down while not sacrificing too much on IQ.

I've already decided (I think!) to take my 70-200 AFS VR instead of my 70-300. Although I just read the 70-300 is very good for IR. I just haven't found the sweet spot with the 70-300 and the IQ of the 70-200 is wonderful.

I thought I would take the 24-120 VR and use it on my IR D100 and keep the 24-70 on my D300. This would eliminate swapping lenses a lot. Now I find Bjorn rates the 24-70 as excellent for IR. (He doesn't rate the 24-120 VR for IR....)

Question: Should I take advantage of not taking the 24-120 and just plan on changing lenses more often?

2. Howdy Karen,

I don't know that much about the 24-120, but I would think the D300 would benefit so much more from the 24-70 lens. I don't know if you'd have time or not, to test out the lens and just see what it does. Even my favorite 18-70 kit lens gets a little hot spot every so often.

I did find that my 18-200 did very well on my modded D70S, so the 24-120 might be great as well.

Can't wait to see what you come up with, Where you going?

Take care,

Craig

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2008
  3. thebac

thebac

Jul 23, 2007
    US
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  4. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Craig,

Thanks! I've gotten quite a bit of hot spots on the 24-120 (and also some photos that turned out just fine), but I was thinking it was because I had no option other than shooting into the sun! So I thought all lenses would have that problem. Guess it is a matter of degrees!

Here's a couple of IR with hot spots. Now I'm curious if they would have been minimized with a different lens.

Here are a couple of examples:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Thebac,

Very nice shots and I like your processing!

6. Howdy Karen,

I don't think these are actually hotspots but just normal lens flare!!!

Also, where you or are you using any filters on front of the lens, like a UV Filter(for protection) or color polarizer? If so, this greatly increases the flare and hot spot potential by having something else for the light to reflect off of.

As evidenced by the bacs shots, the 24-120 can produce some stunning images.

You might give it another try with the Sun behind you and lighting up your subject or landscape.

7. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Craig,

No filters on the 24-120 VR. This second version of the 24-120 is SOOOO much better than the first.

However, I was never happy with the D100. Always seemed very soft. But for IR, I don't notice it as much. I am thinking of taking my old 28-70/3.5-4.5 to use on the IR camera to keep from changing lenses all the time. Bjorn rates it a "4" so it might be better than the 24-120 and it is certainly lighter.

But since weight is an issue, I could use the 24-70/2.8 (which is supposed to be a "5") and just change lenses frequently!

I try to avoid shooting into the sun, but sometimes I don't have a choice. :frown:

8. Craig's right. It's just lens flare. A hotspot will be a discolored (usually lighter-colored) area, typically in the center of the image.

Pick up a used 18-55. It's cheap and Bjorn rates it highly for IR shots. You can pair it with either the 70-200 or 70-300 (if you want to cut down on weight).

9. FWIW...I don't own the 24-70, but I have shot IR with the Beast. It's not bad...

Copyofthetree.

windmill22.

10. Butlerkid

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Mark:

Nice shots! Nice processing!

I'm already weight restricted on my trip - too many goodies! So I think I'm going to use the 24-70 for IR. Just can't justify another lenses at this point.

11. Thanks. I want a different look to every shot.

I'm sure the 24-70 will work fine. I just picked up a copy of the 18-55 because I couldn't afford the 17-35 or 14-24 to use for wide angles.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.