24-120f4-->24-70

I bought the 24-120F4 last month, love it, but I still have a secret lust for the 24-70 "I had the 24-70 one year ago...", I need some sense or Non-sense into my head! before doing anything stupid!

Why I love the 24-120:
-colours, contrast, sharpness are very close to the 24-70 wide open
-Great range, especially for street shooting, got so many unbelievable shots walking around thanks to its zoom range....
-VR is amazing for low shutter speeds, i even took shots cruising next to my friend in a convertible...
-more compact size; better when folded

Why I am secretly lusting for the 24-70
-Hate the distortion on the 24-120 "I shoot jpgs mostly"
-F2.8 I need speed for my fast moving daughter
-F2.8 bokeh looks much nicer
-Faster Focus speed, i had %99 keeper rate with this lens, not so with the F4

I am thinking of selling the 24-120F4 and the 50 1.4G for 24-70, the 50 1.4 is great and light, but have not used it much because the focus speed is disappointing for my needs...

I'm afraid if you sell the 24-120 F4 VR, and get the Nikkor 24-70 2.8, your gonna want VR when you run into those situations that require low shutter speeds. Such has a dimly lit restaurant, etc.

I also went from 24-70 to 24-120 and here is my conclusion. I keep going back to some 24-70 shots of my 4 year old daughter and I love the bokeh @ f2.8. In fact I like the look from that lens so much that every once in a while I wonder if I made the right choice. But in the end I find 24-120 to be a more versatile lens. Analyzing my album I found that most of my daughters photographs were between 60mm and 100mm. This makes 24-120 the perfect range for me and it has VR that I use for movies and places like Vegas. In addition, f2.8 on DX was not fast enough to completely isolate the background for indoor shots, and in many situations not fast enough to shoot without a flash. So I will probably get 85mm f1.8 (when the new one comes, I gotta pay off my D7000 first) so I can shoot @ f2.

I find it odd that you are lusting after 24-70, yet you are shooting in JPG that loses so much detail and control over you final image. I would suggest you shoot RAW+JPG, this way you can use JPG if you are happy with them, or manipulate the image as much as you want with RAW. And maybe sell your 50G (I found it slow also) and either wait for new Nikon 50 or 85 f1.8, or possible get a Sigma.

Daniyar, thanks for the advice, on FX subject isolation and depth of field is even thinner, VR is good but with iso 6400/higher shutter speeds is what matters..F2.8 is like F1.8 on DX another reason to lust for the 24-70....
As for the RAW, I usually try my best to get what i want straight out of the camera and avoid post unless i really need to fix something, i find nikons jpg engine to be beyond excellent on the D700 compared to capture NX rendition, also the camera is very consistent, except for some white balance issues here and there... I try to be intimate enough with the camera to know its limitations, and use the best of it in the field with consistent results/skin tone/colours.... I am sure there are situations that RAW is a must, but so far so good here fingers crossed! the most i do is an iphoto adjustment!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom