1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

24-70 f/2.8 Nikon vs Sigma - opinions pls

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by kirbinster, Jul 28, 2009.

1. kirbinster

kirbinster

Nov 24, 2007
    NJ, USA
    I have a Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 EX Macro lens but am thinking of replacing it with a Nikon - is it worth the money to do it? Will I notice enough of an improvemnt to make this a worthwhile upgrade, or should I just stick with the Sigma? I recently got a Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 AF-S VR and cannot believe the IQ and am wondering if I would feel the same way about the 24-70.

Thanks

2. The 24-70 is on par with, if not sharper than the 70-200 in my opinion.

I think the 14-24 is the sharpest, 24-70 next, and 70-200 not far behind in terms of IQ of the trifecta lenses.

3. +1

From what I've seen and heard once you own it, you'll never take it off your camera. I've been lusting for it for a long time now........:confused:  NAS/NSF

4. kirbinster

kirbinster

Nov 24, 2007
    NJ, USA
    Well I bought a Nikon 24-70, now I guess I need to sell the Sigma 24-70 EX Macro.

5. Would it be possible to post some side-by-side test shots at 24, 35, 50 and 70mm?

Paul

6. ArtScott

ArtScott

Jul 11, 2009
    WICHITA, KS
    My Siggy 24-70 worked so well taht I would never have thought of replacing with a Nikon unless it was going to be give n to me asa gift or a cleint said they absolutely wanted that lens used for the job then they would be paying for it.....

7. Rob T

Rob T

Aug 27, 2008
    SoCal
    Congrats!

I absolutely love mine. :Love:

8. how much ? and congrats

9. Takeda

Takeda

Jun 9, 2006
    Durham, NC

First, congratulations on your 24 70mm!!! You made an excellent decision!!

10. AlaskanEagleEye

AlaskanEagleEye

Jul 3, 2008
    Alaska
    so, how much are you asking to place that old, non-nikon sigma 24-70 upon my despertly needy hands. mind you, i aint rich or i would opt for the nikon as well, but hand-me-down lenses work for me.

rich (by NAME only) :wink:

11. McQ

McQ Just your average, everyday moderator. Moderator

I'm going to revive this thread as it seems to have died off after the OP bought his Nikon 24-70mm lens.

I'm in the midst of trying to determine if the Nikon is worth the extra $900 or not. Anyone have experience enough with both lenses to make a really good list of which they think is better and why?

How about some side by side photo comparisons (I know that asking for a lot)?

As much as I love my Nikkor lenses (and I have a few really sweet ones), I just don't know if there's enough IQ difference in these two.

12. Delete...I didn't catch how old this thread was.

13. McQ

McQ Just your average, everyday moderator. Moderator

:confused: 

14. northrop

northrop

Apr 20, 2008
    Chicago
    that's a lie :tongue: i keep switching between 14-24 and 24-70 all the time :biggrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.