24-70 fell today.

I dropped my 24-70 this morning. I thought I was going to have a heart attack, right there!! The hood was reversed on it and it hit the ground at an angle and has cracked the lens hood so it wont go on and off now. Thank the Good Lord the lens is ok!
Where would I get a replacement hood, i have trawled ebay and a few other sites but no luck..

yep, if i had had my hood on backwards on mine, i wouldn't be using a brand new lens right now... it was totaled! no glass broken, but apparently all jumbled up inside and AF motor broken. that realization was the most compelling reason i've ever found for using lens hoods...

This may be the best time to think of non-pro. insurance for your gear!

Sorry to hear of your fear-moments, I am sure we've all gone through one of these. Thank the Lord it came out with so little damage.

I can't stress insurance enough.

Get it checked out

My 28-70 took a tumble several years ago, with the hood attached. It crashed hood first onto concrete, but continued to work. But Nikon checked it out and discovered a stripped mechanism inside. Cost about $500 to repair it. Bright side: Worked better than ever after that and is still in use.

I dropped my 24-70 this morning. I thought I was going to have a heart attack, right there!! The hood was reversed on it and it hit the ground at an angle and has cracked the lens hood so it wont go on and off now.

Thanks for reminding everyone of the importance of keeping the lens hood attached at all times, and I'm *very* glad to hear that the lens is OK.

L Brackets (apart from their convenience on tripods) can provide analogous protection from certain camera body disasters; insurance is also a good thing to check out.

Eric

Latest threads

Top Bottom