24 PCE for Landscapes?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by microsnook, Dec 2, 2017.

1. microsnook

microsnook

Aug 24, 2011
    FL
    Hey Nikon community,
    I've been watching various videos and discovering there's a lot of potential for tilt/shift lenses for landscape photography.
    Supposedly you can tilt to ensure sharp focus from front to back, controlling the plane.
    I can see how this would work if your subject and everything is on a single plane.

But how far off of the plane can they be and still remain in focus?
    Lets say there are mountains in the back of the image....would this work, or would the image need to be focus stacked?

I'm currently using a 20mm 1.8 for my landscapes (most of them anyways) and I love this lens, its great. The only thing I find it difficult to do is focus stack something in the foreground such as flowers when theres a slight breeze.
    Obviously if I focus stack with the 24 it'll still take practice and probably even be harder.

This lens looks like a gem and I am considering it, but not sure if I should just yet. I'm still relatively new to landscapes and not sure if I should just shoot with my 20 and gain more experience or try experimenting.

This part is also important:
    I've read online that the Nikon needs to be adjusted to operate both t/s on the same plane. Has anyone adjusted their lens? Or have run into any issues? This part confuses me and I can include some links to blogs if this isn't making sense.

Thanks!

2. johncarol

johncarol

Jan 31, 2006
    SW Florida
    I question the value of 'tilt' now that we have focus stacking. It can do some nice selective focus though even on a diagonal. Shift has value for buildings and waterfalls. And yes it takes a mod to get t/s on the same plane. Nikon says it has to go to service for this. It is a simple change requiring just 4 screws to be removed and the lens turned. But, there are short small wires involved a wrong turn means service and a charge. Lots of info on the web if you are patient with your searches. Here is one tutorial for axis rotation-be sure to read through the comments. Axis change of the PC-E Nikkor 24mm

Good ebook; The Tilt-Shift Lens
    I can send you more links if you like.

3. microsnook

microsnook

Aug 24, 2011
    FL
    Thank you for the response, John.
    I saw a few articles describing the axis change and I'm unsure at this point if I would need it and if I did, if I would do it myself or send it in.
    When you do the axis change, does it alter the way the lens is originally? Essentially what I am asking is, am I unlocking new features at the expense of losing the original axis of the lens, or does it just open up that much more variety with the t/s? Hope that makes sense...

I'm on the fence and might just keep practicing with my focus stacking. Though I like the idea of being able to make perfect panoramas and get different vantage points with the t/s.

4. CAJames

CAJames

Sep 6, 2006
    Lompoc, CA
    A complete answer is probably too long for me to post on a message board, so my first response is to keep reading until you really understand tilt and shift. But, briefly when you are shooting landscapes you may only want to tilt for more DoF, in which case the shift axis is irrelevant because you aren't shifting. But, again typically for landscape if you do want to shift as well it will be down to give you a lower perspective. If that is the case then you need to change the axis as described above. There are many other effects possible with t/s lenses, that may require different alignments of the tilt and shift axis, but those aren't interesting to me. For me, I changed the axis on my 85mm PC (non-E) and 24mm PC-E and never looked back. I'd do it on the 45mm as well, but as far as I can tell the cable is too short. So with the 45 I either tilt or shift but not both at the same time. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
  5. microsnook

microsnook

Aug 24, 2011
    FL
    Thank you for the response, James.
    I think this really helps me out.
    Just to clarify and make sure I'm following you...

If I want to tilt for DOF increase, which is what I am considering from a t/s lens, I will only be able to shift vertically and not horizontally. So if I wanted to make a panorama with tilt for DOF, I would have to alter the axis to get this effect?

Would this mean that I am only able to shift horizontally after I made the adjustment, or would I be able to shift either veritcally and/or horizontally? Hope I'm not making this more confusing. I've read a bit online about them and watched a ton of videos, but it seems that I cannot find this specific answer anywhere, yet.

6. CAJames

CAJames

Sep 6, 2006
    Lompoc, CA
    Well, you've confused me ;). Let me put it this way, in the factory configuration the tilt axis and shift axis are perpendicular, so you can tilt vertically and shift horizontally, or vice versa. After the adjustment both are parallel so you would tilt and shift vertically or horizontally. Maybe what you aren't clear about is the whole lens rotates so, for example if you only care about tilt (or shift) you can rotate it to tilt (or shift) at any angle. What is fixed is the angle between tilt and shift, either 90 degrees from the factory or parallel after the adjustment. I believe the new 19mm t/s lens addresses this issue, so if you've got 3K$ burning a hole in your pocket get one of those and you don't have to worry about this.

7. microsnook

microsnook

Aug 24, 2011
    FL
    Haha, I figured that would be confusing.
    Maybe rephrasing it would help.

If I adjust the lens, I can tilt/shift same direction. But will it still be able to go OPPOSITE direction as it were factory, or does changing it limit this?
    I think I could do it by rotating the lens like you are saying, but if it were only either tilt or shift at a given time.

I will keep looking around to see if I can find this answer, but I really appreciate all of your help so far! Thank you so much :)

8. CAJames

CAJames

Sep 6, 2006
    Lompoc, CA
    You're very welcome Tyler, I'm a big fan of the t/s lenses and happy to help. If you adjust the lens, you can always adjust it back to the factory config, but short of using a screwdriver you have to pick one configuration or the other. That is what I mean by "the angle between tilt and shift is fixed." Note this isn't an issue for the new 19mm t/s lens (or the Canon t/s lenses), and I would guess sometime soon Nikon would update the 24, 45 and 85mm lenses with that feature, but probably with a hefty price increase as well.

Note also, if you just want to test the water instead of diving in you could rent the 24mm PCE and try it out.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  9. microsnook

microsnook

Aug 24, 2011
    FL
    THIS is the answer I was looking for. Now I understand everything. You are a huge help and I really appreciate that!
    I can understand why you are a big fan, seeing how they offer versatility a standard lens wouldn't. My curiosity is getting the best of me and I am wanting to get one more and more. I found one on eBay for around 1250 and think that is a decent price for a used one in excellent condition with all accessories.
    I feel like it would make more sense to buy it and then sell it used if I don't find any use for it.
    Really appreciate all the of insight and advice! I will be thinking hard about this over the next couple of weeks :D
    Tyler

10. CAJames

CAJames

Sep 6, 2006
    Lompoc, CA
    Cool. My only other warning is once you start one might not be enough ;).

11. microsnook

microsnook

Aug 24, 2011
    FL
    Haha!
    Now I'm stuck between keeping my 300 f/4 or selling it to fund this lens. I mostly do landscapes, so it makes sense. I just dont want to be without the reach, as I am travelling and want to be prepared for it all!
    Decisions decisions

12. The very definition of NAS/GAS :eek:

13. microsnook

microsnook

Aug 24, 2011
    FL
    :O send help!

14. Mike Irish

Mike Irish

Jun 14, 2008
    Ireland
    Hi Tyler. Take a look at this lens I have heard good thing about it and it is relatively inexpensive in comparison of the big named brands.>>
    Hope this helps.
    PS. You could try and rent one out and see if its quality is acceptable to you.?
    Mike

15. microsnook

microsnook

Aug 24, 2011
    FL
    Thanks for the help, Mike. I will definitely look more into this lens. I saw a few where people mentioned the quality was pretty decent. I'll mostly be shooting it around f8-11 anyways so that should also be in my favor. Thank you for the tip :)

16. Mike Irish

Mike Irish

Jun 14, 2008
    Ireland
    Another youtube video of a tilt shift lens in use. I found it very informative. >>>>

17. microsnook

microsnook

Aug 24, 2011
    FL
    I think I've seen both of these! Im going to check out the second one again and see the results. Thank you!