24mm f/3.5 PC-E

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by dante, Sep 15, 2008.

1. I'm considering on getting this lens, any sample image? :smile:
    And where can I get it? Every single store I checked do not have it in stock. :frown:

2. I am also very much interested in this lens for landscape photography.
    It would be awesome of someone who has it could share pictures and impressions of using this lens. Come on guys!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2008
  3. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I've used the lens quite a bit since getting it earlier this year, it's an excellent and with the tilt/shift functionality I'm finding it to be a very versatile lens. If you look in my most recent Places galleries (Colorodo, Bisti, and Utah) you can find quite a few shots taken with this lens. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask. Here are a few samples:

original.jpg

original.jpg

original.jpg

4. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Jeff. Amazing captures. The second one in B+W in outstanding. Thanks for sharing.

gregory

5. Thanks for posting the amazing pictures, Jeff. I also enjoyed your galeries, esp. Bisti Badlands b&w and the abandoned buildings.

Do you still have your D2x or do you only use the D300-PC-E combo? Did you ever use the PC-E on your D2x? And if yes, what were your experiences? I'm asking since this is the combo I am planning to use.

Thanks !

6. Is this a DX or an FX-only lens?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2008
  7. It's a FX lens. It can be used on DX as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 21, 2008
  8. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Thanks for the kind words. I already had the D300 by the time I got the 24 PC-E, so I've not had the need to use it with the D2x. Once nice thing about the D300 is that LiveView makes manual focusing much easier and more accurate. I never had much luck manually focusing with the D2x.

You should know that this lens is not fully compatible with the D2x; the overhang of the viewfinder chamber interferes with your ability to shift; I seem to recall you can only use about 6-7mm of "rise" (vertical shift in the upward direction) on the D2x. The D300 is the only DX camera that can use the full movements of the 24 PC-E in all directions.

The 45 PC-E and 85 PC-E do not have this limitation, only the 24.

9. Thanks a lot Jeff.

May I ask a follow-up question? Will the shift limitation of the D2X create a big problem in day-to-day shooting (architecture and landscape)? I would think that a DX sensor is more sensitive to shifting than a FX sensor, meaning you might need less shifting than on a FX sensor. Is this assumption correct? I am asking because with falling prices the D700 becomes more attractive every day :smile:. I am not so sure about getting the D300 since I already have an outdated collection of DX cameras (see below) and I don't earn my living with photography (so the equipment is not paying for itself :eek:). An FX sensor of the size of the D700 will certainly love my other old wide angle lenses.

10. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I can't really say, it would depend on what you shoot. For landscapes I do use vertical shift for stitching (using shift to get 3 vertical shots to stitch together). You wouldn't be able to do that on a D2x. But I rarely need to use vertical shift to correct perspective when shooting landscapes. On the other hand if you're shooting architecture and interiors, I imagine vertical shift for PC would be pretty important, although when shooting verticals you'd actually be using horizontal shift so it might not be so bad.

If possible you might want take your D2x to a shop that stocks the 24 PC-E, and play around with it a bit to see if you find the limitations acceptable. Of course if you're planning to eventually move to a D700 then it might be OK to live with some limitations now, as the 24 PC-E should work quite nicely with the FX camera.

11. Thanks for your advise. And you're right: I shouldn't worry too much since I am already planning to upgrade to a D700.

Dante please accept my apologies for hijacking your thread. Once I got the PC lens which might take some time (and a smugmug account which should take less time), I will post some photos.

12. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    Jeff, amazing work, nicely done. ****

13. AR90

AR90

Jan 9, 2006
    Netherlands
    Jeff, Stunning photo's !

Can I ask you a question regarding the 24 PC-E ? What is your preferred aperture value with this lens when using it in the wide open ? It is my experience that when I pass the f20 - f22 the images are getting more unsharp than for instance shot with f8 -f14. Most of my images are now shot with f8 to get a sharp overall image.

What's your experience with it if I may ask ?

14. WOW Jeff. Those are killer images. Truly beautiful shots.

15. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Thanks everyone.

Michael - Stopping down to f/20 is definitely going to degrade image quality due to diffraction. I tend to shoot in the f/8-f/11 range as that seem to be the sweet spot for the lens. If I need more DOF than that would give me I'll try to use the tilt control to increase usable DOF.

16. z0624

z0624 Guest

This lens just showed up as "In Stock" at BH yesterday for those that have been waiting. I've been waiting a long time and I wasn't sure if this was going to be subjected to the rumored Nikon price hike in February.

17. jeff amazing photos! kudos!

18. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    Kinda gives you an Ansel Adams like perspectives.