25 years to photograph Anax imperator. Dragonfly.

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Bob the Spiderman, Oct 15, 2005.

1. It is not as though that this species is rare. It is common in Cornwall and I have pictures of it in flight but I have only seen it settle about 3 times in 25 years. It the UK's biggest dragonfly and once it is airbourne, then that is normally it for the rest of the day.
    This male settled just long enough for me to get off 3 rapid shots with my 80-400mm VR at the 400mm setting and I could not believe my luck when i saw the result.
    So although patience is a virtue, 25 years for a dragonfly is not very good for somebody who is supposed to know what they are doing.

[​IMG]

Best wishes. Bob F.

2. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Wow, 25 years!! Great capture Bob, be sure to print this one out for the wall.

Cheers,

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Bob that is a beautiful Dragon. I find it hard to believe they come in so many different kinds, colors and sizes.

Looks like he has had a tough time with the wings chewed up like that.

25 years WOW..

Good for you.

4. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    [PARTIAL QUOTE=So although patience is a virtue, 25 years for a dragonfly is not very good for somebody who is supposed to know what they are doing.

Best wishes. Bob F.[/PARTIAL QUOTE]

Yes, Bob, but no one told the dragonfly that. Nice capture! Patience is obviously a virtue.

5. Hi Gale. Yes it does look battered, and rightly so. They fight other males in mid-air and their mating technique has all the subtlety of an Australian Hippopotamus, if there was such a thing.

BW. Bob F.

6. Wow! 25 years. Now that is patience for sure!

He does have nice colors. I have only tried a couple of times to capture dragonflys because they never seem to land. Of course, I only spend 25 minutes at a time.

You should get this one printed out and up on the wall for sure.

7. Just to let you all know that Bob may not be able to post to the forum, for a few days, as he is having a bad time, with his lungs. We had a very bad day yesterday, nearly called an ambulance and doctor for 1 episode, then had another bad 1 in the evening. He has been better overnight but very tired.
    I am sorry if my NC Forum terminology is not correct, or if I am posting this in the wrong place, but I do not know how to go to the correct section. I just want you to know that he is not very well. Please if somebody thinks this needs to go into another section, then could you do it for me.
    I shall probably get told off for telling you all but how will you know where he is if I do not tell you. Ha ha that will teach him!!! :Nurse: :Nurse:
    Pam

8. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;