1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

28 2.8 - any good ?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by watsonD50, Jul 8, 2007.

1. I wanted to search the forum because I suppose this has been covered before, but the search engine here doesn't like searching by numbers (such as 28 2.8). This lens is quite cheap, seems to be noted for a having a nice build similar to the 50 1.4, yet it gets mixed reviews- some people on the net claim it's fantastic, some just the opposite. This is a very cheap lens brand new - to good to be true ? Please post your thoughts and any samples if possible.

Thanks,
    Daniel

2. Dennyd80

Dennyd80 Guest

I have the 28/2.8 AIS version with (CRC) close focus capabilities. It can focus as closes as 7 inches. The sharpness is excellent but color reproduction is not as good as the 35/2 AIS in my opinion. I use both primes on a regular basis and have no complaints about image quality.

I can't speak for the AF version since I've never used one, but the optics should be the same.

The AIS versions of both the 28/2.8 and 35/2 are selling on ebay for $125-$175 US depending on condition. Both are excellent primes if you don't mind manual focusing.

I started in photography with MF and have collect a few AIS lenses over the years. I wouldn't trade any of them for the AF version.

3. I had the older 28mm f/2.8 AF and it was ok but didn't seem to compare optically to the 35mm f/2D or 50mm f/1.8D. Vignetted wide open, and wasn't as sharp either (though this could have just been my copy of it).

4. Zachs

Zachs

Feb 25, 2006
    NC
    I use it as a cheap "don't care what happens to it" lens. Good on film, nothing to brag about on digital.

5. I bought this lens about a year ago and really haven't had any complaints. I like the 28-35 range and have found it to take care of business for a small, light, on the go lens. The images aren't bad, but they don't have the "pop" of the 35 2. For the extra dollars I'd do the 35.
    Jack

6. The 28/2.8 AIS was a legend with its 8/8 design. The Series E and the subsequent AF versions were all a 5/5 design which many consider to be sub-par. However, when they released the 28/2.8D AF they added another element, and the overall quality of the lens seems to be much better than the earlier AF pieces.

I had the 28/2.8 AIS and enjoyed it. I actually found the colors more pleasing, as they were a bit more subdued and reminded me of my 105/2.5 moreso than my 50/1.8.

If you get an AF version, shoot for the D version. I doubt it will let you down (in fact, I doubt the old AF would let you down...but people like to be anal when it comes to their lenses)

7. 28 f/2.8 AFd

Daniel,

I have had some success with the AFd version of this lens. For what I wanted it to do (landscape work) it did great for me. This is a shot I took at Pyramid Lake in NV closer to the start of the year with a D1x. In fact, I think I'll break it back out for some shots this weekend.

God Bless,
    David

115831845-M.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.