28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 XR Di

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by confused, May 4, 2005.

1. So.....I need a better zoom lense. I have the kit for the D70 which doesn't provide much range and since I am going on a cruise to Alaska this summer I want to get something that will provide me with enough room to work. I have not seen many people owning this lense more like the 70-300mm lenses. Is this still a good lense? Tamron makes it. Would I be okay getting this? Has anybody had any experience with it? Comments? Also I think this would fit both my D70 and N75 right? With my D70 it would get a little longer range (even if that meant giving up wide angle more) Since it has the 1.5 zoom on the DSLR right? So is this a good option or not? If there is a better lense that would serve me better (in the long run) tell me so and I will check it out (even if it is more money) I can just forget about my wanting the 105mm micro for awhile if that is the case.

Okay...thanks! I hope I didn't confuse anybody with my rambling! I just like to explain things thoroughly.

2. Jmho, but most folks seem to buy the 3rd party lenses for price, and are willling to accept slightly reduced performance over the Nikon equivalents.

When you look at performance, don't just consider sharpness. Look for natural color rendering, contrast, micro-contrast, bokeh, and accurate focus as well. Imho, the Nikkor lenses can't be touched when you examine them for all these characteristics.

As a general purpose entry into the telephoto world, I bought the very affordable Nikon 70-300mm ED zoom, and it was terrific! It allowed me to grab nature shots like these, which are still among my favorites:

View attachment 8195

View attachment 8196

View attachment 8197

Btw, that lens hasn't gotten any use since I bought the 80-200/2.8 AFD, and I listed it on the For Sale forum a while back... :wink:.

3. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    That is the lens that I have been using. It is a good carry around lens. Its not a real fast lens. But it takes very good pictures. I have been happy with it. I have just ordered some faster lenses but I think I will still use this one for snap shots and such.

4. Are we allowed to post links to other sites that sell stuff? Well I dont know so...this one right?
    Nikon Zoom Telephoto AF Zoom Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6D ED Autofocus Lens
    Now, I know I am new but I thought it was somewhat bad to have a higher f stop above say 3.5?

5. That's the right lens. It's produces great pictures in good light. If you want a lens with a bigger aperture for low light work, it'll be twice as heavy and four times the price. If you're ready for that kind of commitment, look at the Nikon 80-200mm/2.8 or 70-200mm/2.8. But the 70-300 is a great way to start out and learn some technique. Jmho.

6. Sounds like a good lense then! I don't plan on shooting in low light but I was just thinking in the future since I see myself not getting as much money as I get older. :( But I really don't want something twice as heavy and I especially don't want something 4 times the price.

Thanks for your feedback. I think I will save up for that 70-300mm!
    You have been very helpful. (very nice community here! love it!) :wink:

7. Elliot,

I bought the 28-300mm DI yesterday to give it a test as an
    all purpose walk around lens. The jury is still out on it, but I plan to
    give it a workout this weekend.

It is my first non-nikon lens, so was a little hesitant.

Ray

8. I would like to really hear back on how that lense is coming out then for you. So far I am sold on the 70-300mm but depending on what I hear? You never know right?

9. Elliot,

I just saw the weather forecast for this weekend and we have rain.

I will try to get out early and see if the lens is good or not. We are about

a month behind the front range on flowers, and we still have snow on the

mountains so the shooting will be around town.

Ray

10. I own the 28 300 and i use it as a walk around lens. i like it alot even though it's a bit soft at 300mm but still worth every penny i paid for it.

11. Since the weather is to be bad tomorrow, I decided to leave the office and give the new lens a try today. I walked to the end of the block and snapped a few shots in jpeg. I did find a deer at the end of our alley and a goose on a pond at the golf course as I walked back.

These are images shot on a cloudy, hazy day with the wind blowing and gusting to 35 mph. They are straight from the camera with resizing as the only post processing.

I think they are a little soft, but a little post processing can make them look better. I will play with the lens a little more and see if I can improve on these.

http://crayaco.home.bresnan.net/tamron__af28

12. Looks good! Those shots. So far I think I am still going with the 70-300mm. Thanks all for your advice and opinions!

13. The 70-300 is a good lens. I have one. You will not be disappointed.

I am trying the 28-300 for a walk around lens.

14. I just purchased the Tamron 18-200 as a walk-around lens. It preforms very nicely indeed. I was more interested in the wide angle (WA) side then the telephoto side. Keep in mind that the 28-300 would be a "42-450" on your D70. I would be concerned about the lack of a WA for an Alaska trip. However, the 18-200 won't work on the N75.

I used to have both the Tamron 70-300 and the Tamron 200-400 back when I was shooting film. They are both fair lenses. I have since replaced both with the Nikon 80-400 VR lens.

Just food for thought.

15. Scott,

Thanks for your comment. This is my first non-nikon lens and I am
    just still a little hesitant to trust it.

I will continue to use this lens, and see how well it does.

Ray