28-80mm AF 3.3-5.6 G

A few weeks back while playing with used lenses at the camera store, I threw a 20mm 2.8 AF-D on my D3. Naturally, I kinda want a wide prime now, but am being cheap and don't want to pay for one.

So today at the pawn shop, I saw an old silver N65 with a black 28-80mm for $45. At that price, why would you not pick it up? So I grabbed it for the lens. 28mm is kinda wide on FX.

What a surprise! FAST auto focus and it's reasonably sharp! Not as sharp as my 50mm 1.4D at the same aperture (f4.5), but close. At 50mm, it has less distortion than my 50mm 1.4D.

If you don't have an expensive 2.8 zoom, this is at least worth having because of the price.

So with this cheap, old kit lens zoom on the brain, I started researching more of these cheapy old school zooms. I just nabbed a 28-105 AF-D off Ebay. With it's closer focusing, longer zoom range, and max aperture of f4.5, I'll be super happy if this thing is acceptably sharp.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've also played with the plastic 20-80mm G lenses and was amazed at how well they worked when you can get them for almost nothing. I haven't retained one as I have the 28-105D which is even better

28-80mm, and the 28-105mm are all very good. I have them both.
totally agreed with Brian. Value for money cant go wrong.

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
The 28-105 is a gem of a lens. I have one that I will not let go of. You've shot a great image there, and it looks as though you have a keeper.

Thanks guys! I'm much happier with it than I thought I would be and am pretty excited about the 28-105 afd that should be on its way soon.

Rob Zijlstra

A Koffie Drinker
Great cat! I just looked at the 100% and it seems this lens is as sharp as necessary @ F5.6. What surprised me was that the focus is on the ears, because if you look at the above, you don't see this at all.

Latest threads

Top Bottom