1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

2848x4288 vs 4x6 vs 4x5.3 - Two photos and some questions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stayathomedad, Sep 3, 2008.

1. stayathomedad

stayathomedad

Mar 11, 2008
    Alaska
    D300 with raw files coming out at 2848x4288

Output to jpg and print at costco as 4x6

Costco has a little blurb saying:

Digital pictures are taken in an aspect ratio of 4x5.3, so a small portion of the top and bottom will be lost with a 4x6 print.​

My photos came out cropped...

Here is the original from cam

original.

Here is how it came out from costco

costco.

Why did costco crop my photo?

Why can't I grasp this?

2848x4288 is just a few pixels away from 4x6, so what are they talking about with they reference 4x5.3 and why was the photo cropped so much?

2. My understanding is that Costco is a consumer processor and as such is most used to dealing with people with point and shoot camera which are mostly 4:5 ratio sensors/files, hence the comment about cropping. The Nikon DSLRs are 2:3 ration sensors.
    Your cropping issue is caused by printer set up. Generally all printers will crop a bit so as to account for a range of tolerances such as paper position, etc. Your image seems to have cropped from the left and top mostly, this is perfectly acceptable. Most cameras would not display what is cropped in they viewfinder as most viewfinders do not have 100% coverage and so "crop" anyway.
    Hope that assists....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.