28mm 1.4 Backfocusing question (update)

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by icetraxx, Dec 28, 2005.

1. icetraxx

icetraxx

May 7, 2005
    Louisiana
    I attached 2 images from the Christmas weekend. When I started reviewing the pictures I noticed that 85% were out of focus. Below are 2 cropped examples. The red box shows the focus area of the camera. I ran a test between my 85mm 1.4 and 28mm 1.4 same camera settings and image and the 85mm was razor sharp where as the 28mm was out of out of focus.

Is this something that can be resolved by sending the lens in to Nikon without the camera?

Has anyone had this done and know the cost?

Thanks,
    Larry
    1/90sec f1.4 spot metering for both pictures
    http://www.brdance.com/web/1.jpg
    http://www.brdance.com/web/2.jpg
    Comparison test with d70 and manual focus on D2X
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2005
  2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. icetraxx

icetraxx

May 7, 2005
    Louisiana
    Thanks paul for the advice. I'll do somemore testing tonight when i get home. When I was doing a search to compare pictures I came across yours and several others and was wondering what is going on with my lens.

Larry

4. icetraxx

icetraxx

May 7, 2005
    Louisiana
    I posted a test that I did with a d70 and a manual focus shot I did with my D2X. I am pretty much convinced that it is a lens problem.
    Thanks,
    Larry

5. My two cents worth:

If and when you send it in to Nikon, be sure to provide lots of details and evidence and stay on them. They will make it right.

I had a 17-55 that I couldn't get happy with and they went so far as to offer a swap to a different lens. In the end, I bought another 17-55 and couldn't be happier with it.

And the lens I wasn't happy with was "to spec." They said it was just right. They also agreed I had a problem, so in my experience they always help you out in the end, but it can take a few rounds.