1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

28mm 1.4 Lens

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Bryan Pritchard, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Amazing how this Lens is selling for over 3k!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2008
  2. why is that amazing?

3. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Do you mean 28 1.4?

4. Yes 28 1.4 and Matt its amazing to me so????

5. I know. Why is that amazing? Was it really cheap 10 years ago? Has it gone down in price? I'm being serious...

6. Most like the BEST Lens Nikon has ever produced new like $1600 now over 3k they quit making it in 2006 I think from 98 to 2006

7. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Brian :

Well, I can't comment about the price in terms of being "worth it", but in terms of shooting, there's only one other Nikon lens that's comparable for low light condition shooting, and that's the equally difficult to find 58mm f/1.2 Noct. At the end of the day, these two lenses simply stand in a class by themselves.

John P.

8. I hope Nikon starts focusing on AFS short primes soon. The zoom and telephoto lenses look good, now we need new primes!

9. Is my beloved 85mm 1.4 in that class in my opinion it ROCKS

10. Well worth it IMHO

Well worth it IMHO... Nothing else can produce images like it.

The 58/1.2 produces something totally different and is superior for low light shooting but the 28/1.4 is simply amazing - I'd rather have paid $1600 for it but there were none at that price when I got mine and bought it over the NOCT (should have gotten both...)

And for those who think the 85/1.4 is in the same class... it isn't. The 28/1.4 on the FX sensor is quite unique. The 85/1.4 does rock in daytime and low light the 28/1.4 excel at both but it isn't for portraiture that's for sure - too wide.

August2008HP42.

View attachment 262363

View attachment 262364

View attachment 262365

View attachment 262366

The 28/1.4 ended up being my most used lens this summer... What's amazing is that they sell at those prices...

11. it is quickly becoming one of my favorite lenses...

12. Wonder what the chances are of finding one at the normal price :) 

13. There was one on KEH a few months back in EX condition for about $2,300 I think. Early August, maybe?

Didn't last long . . .

14. I got very lucky and picked one up in excellent condition for 1300....
    here on the Cafe.... I was very lucky....

15. kiskaprince

kiskaprince

Mar 30, 2008
    canada
    Don't you worry guys.
    Few more months and the prices for these expansive toys,lenses etc will be dropping big time.
    The way economy is going people stop buying things like they used to.
    Christmas is coming and company's want to sell.
    Just be patient I would say another month and We will notice some lower prices.
    Thank you.

16. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    While I agree hard times are coming, I wouldnt hold my breath waiting for the prices to drop on used Nikkor's like the 28 1.4 AF. Secondly, I dont nikon is interested in making wide angle-medium telephoto range, exotic's at this time and place. So if you want a Nikkor 28 1.4 AF than Im afraid you will have to poney up and pay the price:tongue: From the results I have seen on the cafe, it's worth every single penny.

Gregory

17. LOL you guys compare a 28mm vs a 85mm lens.. what they have in common is the F/1,4 and the nikkor label, not much more....

18. Michael, picking up one for 1300 is a steal comparing to 3k lol

19. that's the main reason I bought it...but it has turned out to be one of my favorite... I've bought and sold many lenses...but this is one I will be keeping..

20. I hear that, I was pondering the same thing. And thinking that if the 28 has the nasty 1.4 CA found with the 85 is it a real 'value' at 3000+ ( I know it is very clean at 1.4).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.