28mm f/1.4D

Seeing how mine is not getting used and how prices on ebay has gone up, I'm thinking to list this one

28mm_slideshow.gif
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Should I? Will I be kicking myself in 6 months?

Henry

That's a tough call. I try to live by the motto of keep the rare sell the common. I hardly take my own advice. I seem to sell off lenses I regret and buy up some common ones.
That lens seems to be a keeper though!

Lisa

Hi Lisa. I agree with you.

I had a hard time looking for the 28mm in the first place but after shooting for a few time and loving the results, I tend to use the 28mm range on my 17-55mm more out of convenience. In fact, I'm also thinking of buying the 28-70mm for use in the studio and that would mean I have the 28mm range covered over again. sigh...

The trouble is Nikon might just come up with an AF-S II version of it in their next iteration and then it may not be worth as much |sigh|...

The trouble is Nikon might just come up with an AF-S II version of it in their next iteration and then it may not be worth as much |sigh|...

That is what scares me too, and why I sold mine. I miss it but I'm just too worried that we'll see a new one for $800-$1000.

Henry :

Hurm. Well, looking at it on a purely financial level, if you paid on the higher side for the lens, selling it now "protects" you from a loss. However, if you purchased it earlier for a less stratospheric price, it's purely a "paper loss", in that you wouldn't realise the maximum level of return on the lens.

I do think that the lens is close to the net maximum it's going to see in terms of price. It might get another 10% or 15% higher, but there's likely a limit for the specific qualities of the lens coupled with the total number of these that were manufactured. It's not like Nikon only made 500 of the lens over the years, after all.

From a photographic sense, if you're not using it at all, don't get a lot of satisfaction from the lens (no slight intended - it's not a lens that every photographer wants or needs to use), and find it just gathering dust, perhaps selling it is a good move. OTOH, if it's an occasional use lens that's exactly the lens for you when you pull it out, it's a much harder call.

Judging from eBay and the Café of late, if you set a selling price a bit below the current peak price, it'll likely sell quite quickly. To put this in perspective, I haven't listed my 28mm f/1.4 and have no plans to do so; so you may draw what conclusions that you wish about my advice and its impartiality. :wink:

I hope that this helps.

John P.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

RForshey

You know, the 28/1.4 is a nice lens. How the prices have gotten to where they are is totally absurd, and just shows that the "information age" is sometimes a bad thing! I've owned two of the lenses, and for my style of shooting, it really does nothing for me. I've sold both copies...

If you don't use the lens, take advantage of the gross overpricing, and sell the darn thing! Nikon will release the replacement at some point and the value will become what it should have been all along...

I'm glad I didn't keep the one I had. Even though I would have made a lot of money keeping and now selling it.

I just don't see gear as an investment. Use it or lose it. Or stash it. :biggrin:

Latest threads

Top Bottom