2nd body

Hi,

In exactly two weeks I'll leave for a three weeks Uganda trip for hopefully some nice pics (especially the mountain gorillas).
For the moment I've one D200. I'm thinking to buy a second one so I don't have to change lenses too often (one with 12-24/28-70 and one with 70-200/80-400). Biggest - is that I'll probably use this two bodies once a year and that I'd like to buy next year or ... the 300/2.8VR or 200-400 (MAYBE!!!).
What do you think about this?

Hey Rudy,

I would definitely recommend a 2nd body if you can swing it - if nothing else as a backup should one fail. The periods where I've tried to get by with one body meant missed shots while changing lenses and very dirty sensors. I am so much more productive with a 2nd body on hand.

Sean

Rudy,

I'll second what Sean says. Especially if you are that far away from civilization, there's no second camera that you can rent... I am sure you thought of extra batteries and a grip. Good luck on your trip.

Rudy,

I have no idea if you are a pro or not .... but ask yourself what happens if you loose a shot due to changing lenses ...

would you be in serious trouble? ... Is the trouble worth the E2,000.00? (only you can answer this)

(I hope nobody is insulted by what I write now - this is not directed particularly to Rudy now, rather to the generic "you" :-)

I never really got all the hype about backup bodies ... people spending big money on 2nd bodies and they are just that - afficionados ...

damn - I missed the shot where Gorilla A looked at Gorilla B ... so what????

you will also miss shots by being asleep, eating, taking a shower, making love etc... you will even miss shots in Belgium, b/c you are in Uganda!!!!
:)

whats wrong with missing a shot? ... if one surfs the typical forums, one might get the idea that there are people out there that would get capital punishment if they miss a certain shot!!! ... shooting gorillas is not exactly shooting the cake cutting at a wedding ...

again, sorry for sounding harsh - but my command of english sometimes leaves to be desired to work out the finer nuances - no offense meant.

cheers and best regards
al

I certainly get your point about the "need" for a 2nd body, but if I didn't bring one last weekend to San Francisco, I would have not been able to shoot at all. I dropped one of my cameras when I checked into the hotel. so I would have not had a camera at all for the whole photo trip.
so I say, YES to a 2nd(or third) body if you can afford it. And Yes, it's really great not having to change lenses that often.

second body, second set of keys, second battery; all these make perfect sense to me....as much as having more than one lens....(except , of course , you are lucky enough to have the 10-500mm f/1.4 )
P.S. , loved your novels

The second body is really helpful. While shooting you can relax knowing that you can switch from near to far in a flash - excuse the pun.

calm shooter = better shots

Thanks everyone for your insights! Yes, it's an investment and yes I would be seriously disappointed if I missed "the" shot due to the wrong lens. Nonetheless Al, I asked myself the same questions.
So for the moment, I'll go for the second body.
I surely hope to post some pics afterwards!

P.S.: I'm an amateur

whats wrong with missing a shot? ... if one surfs the typical forums, one might get the idea that there are people out there that would get capital punishment if they miss a certain shot!!!

Al,

A few months ago, I spent 4 hours ago photographing in a field trying to capture a specific scene with wildlife. The combination I needed happened only once in 4 hours and I was able to capture it because I wasn't changing lenses or swapping batteries with one camera body. I've now licensed those images for a good fee to be used in a film. How much money do you suppose I would have been able to ask for if I didn't get that shot?

That is why a 2nd body is important.

Sean

D

DoorMan

I always take a second body when traveling. I don't use both at once most of the time. A few years ago on a 3 week long trip I only had one body. It was a FM2N film body. The shutter hung on it and I was without a camera for the balance of the trip. After that I have always taken a second body when we are going to be away from home any length of time.

Al,

A few months ago, I spent 4 hours ago photographing in a field trying to capture a specific scene with wildlife. The combination I needed happened only once in 4 hours and I was able to capture it because I wasn't changing lenses or swapping batteries with one camera body. I've now licensed those images for a good fee to be used in a film. How much money do you suppose I would have been able to ask for if I didn't get that shot?

That is why a 2nd body is important.

Sean

no prob sean ...

I would (personally) draw the line between pro and amateur ...

if you get paid shooting the rose bowl, you better take all precautions (hard and softwarewise) to get THE shot ...

if you are just an amateur, I PERSONALLY find it hard to justify 2 grand just b/c the other body MIGHT crap out and I really would like to get that "my child @ sunset" pic. To me its just like buying a second car b/c the first might stop working ...

but then again, I am fully aware that there are different economic realities and needs - and some folks might look at a fast lense as being a luxury article as well.

cheers
al

Rudy,

I never really got all the hype about backup bodies ... people spending big money on 2nd bodies and they are just that - afficionados ...

al

Hi Al,

Think about it, the rationale for having a 2nd body is multifold. While not having to change lenses is one good reason , having access to a second body when on the trip of a lifetime and having the first camera becoming inoperative is a really very good reason.

The two body thing, generally, is a matter of convenience. Personally, I have had two bodies almost as long as I have been taking photographs.

Last edited by a moderator:
So... after serious consideration I finally opted for a second D200. Both bodies have the same setup, clocks are synchronised, ...
I'll start with the 28-70 on one body (12-24 as second lens) and the 70-200/tc-17 on the other one (80-400 as second lens).
Tripod, macbook, x-drive pro, ... are ready.
Now... just the pictures (some serious stress is coming...)

secound body

Don't think about it twice, take the plunge and get the secound body. This way you will be ready when things start to happen..... What dosen't happen in 1,000 years; goes by in 1 secound BE READY.......

Another point of view. I have researched the trip to see the mountain gorillas as I am sure you have. It can be a long hike straight up the mountain. S0 carrying 2 bodies may be a little to much weight to carry. I know it is slow going and can be up to 8 hours of hiking before finding the animals.

Great trip. Please be safe and let us know how you made out when you come back.

Latest threads

Top Bottom