2nd low key attempt

Discussion in 'People' started by Kevin Scott, Nov 26, 2005.

1. Another shot from the other night. This time with a more serious expression. Same light setup as before: Main light through brolly box ~45* camera left SB-600, Fill slightly off camera axis with shoot thru umbrella SB-800. No hairlight or background light.

D2x with 85/f1.4. Shot manual 1/125s @ f10 ISO100. Totally different skin retouching technique from the other shot on my daughter, same on her boyfriend. Removed the 2nd catchlight in this shot.

Wasn't sure on the pose with the bright hand but think it's ok as it forms a good triangle going from his head to hers down her neckline back up the hand to his face. What do you think? Camera angle might still be low. This shot they're standing and I raised the camera but I wasn't thinking about proper angle.

Thinking this pose might work well with some type of artistic treatment like sepia or b&w to make it look more old fashioned.

[​IMG]

2. Hi Kevin,

Nice work on this one but what happened to the thumb. It looks so out of focus or blurred. For the rest the photo is very good.

3. Hi Vince,
    Part of the skin retouching involves a very slight blur. It's possible I didn't reduce the opacity enough which I'll go back and visit. I kept trying to get her to keep her thumbnail out from under his lapel but alas, there it is, underneath it!

Thanks for the comments!

4. Kevin, I like this and your earlier shots very much, but for me the hand is a distraction.

5. DanWhite

DanWhite

Jul 10, 2005
    Lansdale PA
    Kevin,

I think that the had is a little bit of a distraction. because there is no detail in the shirt underneath it. I usderstand what you were saying with the thumb being blured as a byproduct of you skin softening technique. One thing you can do is to go back over that area with the history brush to bring it back.

over all these images are outstanding. Would love to see a nice high contrast B&W of both shots also.

Dan

6. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Hi Kev,

I like the image for what it is...the lighting is very nice, the pose is nice as well, the thumb issue is as the others have mentioned, my only nit is that I prefer them to smile or have a sultry expression paying attention to themselves and not looking directly toward the camera. The flat affect in their facial expression doesn't show any emotion. I prefer the first image in which they were smiling.

7. Thanks guys for your input. I just couldn't decide if the hand was really a distraction or not. I guess the pose is somewhat cliche. We have some that are serious and some that are smiling. I included this expression for variety. May not do anything with it but it was good practise.