3.0 Firmware Update

I tried the Z6 eye AF with FW 3.0 vs my Sony A7III eye AF. I like Sony's eye AF a bit more since you can activate it on the fly with a button press and deactivate it as well. Plus it works with all AF focus modes. With Nikon eye AF you have to switch to auto area AF in order to use it. Saying that, I found Nikon's implementation accurate and I would have no issue using it when needed.
Hope Nikon will add the ability to have eye AF work with there other focus modes in the next update. It is fine now if you only have a pair of eyes, but in a shot with more than one person/pet it would save so much time.

Real Name
Barry
Is there a issue trying to open this update on Windows 10. I have never had a problem before when I had Windows 7 and updating my old cameras.

I go to Nikon website, following link at top of this thread. Click on Windows version, click on accept at bottom of page, then download file. once downloaded, I right click and choose open, but nothing happens.

Not the end of the world as this Z6 is doing everything I want it to do as is.

Interesting. Focus tracking seems much improved, but initial lock on still struggles for BIF.
I’ve found that the tracking is ok if the subject is large within the frame. I think the tracking box is too big to accurately track smaller subjects (at least that’s what I’ve found).

It is my understanding that Firmware 3.0 does not improve AF tracking, lock-on speed, etc.
The only AF improvements added are Animal detection and better ergonomics do initiate subject tracking.
With each firmware, we hope that they sneak in a general AF improvement as well :). I do not think that has been the case.

There are improvements to the Z AF! i.e. tracking and face eye detection!
What do you base your comment on?

I have not read from any reliable source that AF-C tracking (i.e., following the object as it moves), lock-on reliability, etc has been improved in 3.0. The ergonomics of enabling tracking (subject tracking operation) have been considerably improved and animal eye detection was added.

Some are claiming that the hit rate on AF-C has improved, but Nikon has not said that it did any work on it for 3.0 and many reviewers do not mention any improvements in AF-C.

I was happy with AF performance before 3.0 and do not see improvements with 3.0.

Real Name
Andy
So far, I've found that the ease of activating subject tracking is improved, but the actual accuracy of the AF is the same as before. In other words, while FW 3.0 makes the AF a little easier to use, my keeper rate has not improved. And animal eye-AF is still not ready for prime time.

All in all, FW 3.0 is a step in the right direction, but a small one.

What do you base your comment on?

Some are claiming that the hit rate on AF-C has improved, but Nikon has not said that it did any work on it for 3.0 and many reviewers do not mention any improvements in AF-C.

I was happy with AF performance before 3.0 and do not see improvements with 3.0.
I’m basing it on information available to me from various sources and to my own observations albeit amateur in nature and that AFS seems a bit snappier!
It rather depends on your requirements for any improvements offered. By doing the update you lose nothing!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom