1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

$3,000

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Seneca, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Ok here is my great wonderful problem...hope you can help me.

Five years ago a friend borrowed money from me to get out of a divorce...the amount...$3,000. She went through a lot of problems, and at this point I thought I would never see my money again. I tried two years in a row to get it from her, but I chalked it up to a bad loss...you know the type "live and learn". Well I ran into her this past week, and she saw me before I saw her and she said "Hey Seneca..hey Seneca!!"...so I turned around because how many people do you know named Seneca? :confused:  Well she hugged me and told me that she had moved out of town and came back and got her life together. She said she had tried to contact me a couple of times and to no avail since my number is not listed.

Well long story short...she said she wanted to finally pay me because it had been bothering her all these years. I was like "Whooohooo - pay day!" Well we exchanged phone numbers and she called me wanting to know the bank routing numbers and all that good stuff.

Tuesday morning, checked the bank balance and waaalaaa the money was there?

This is where you come in...would you buy camera stuff, or would you take a vacation? If shopping spree what would you buy? Give me ideas...I have this money burning a hole in my purse. I suppose I could just save it for a rainy day...right? Nahhhh spend baby spend.

2. panda81

panda81

Feb 7, 2008
    Texas
    vacation!! :biggrin:

my wife and i are going to an all-inclusive resort in our next vacation...perhaps you and mr. seneca can do something similar, or a cruise?

3. I would invest at least 50%, and then decide what to do with the remainder. :smile:

4. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    D700! :biggrin:
    Or you could take me for a nice lunch :tongue:

5. FotoPhocus

FotoPhocus

Jun 15, 2008
    I would split it between camera gear and a nice vacation

Edit: the reason I didn't say invest it is because I'm already putting a substantial portion of my income into 401k and IRA each month

6. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    :eek: Yikes if I bought another camera...my husband would be divorcing me. My Canon is brand new...and the D200...well that camera is just wonderful!

7. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Something tells me you worry about the future a lot :tongue:

8. jcovert

jcovert Guest

+ 1

9. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    I would invest it.

10. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Then go on vacation. A photography vacation. Or maybe even a photography destination workshop :smile:

11. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Well my husband's favorite saying is "YOU DON"T SEE A HEARST TOWING A UHAUL". :biggrin:

12. Fine, buy my the D700 and call it a donation, tax write-off, whatever! :biggrin:

Seriously, what were you doing with that money when you loaned it to her? Where was it? In the bank? I'd put it back there (or actually invest it to make back what you lost on a three year, interest free loan!) and then if you want to spend it, go ahead! :smile:

13. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Down payment on a D3x. LOL!

14. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Well true...it was in the bank...looking pretty...but pretty earning interest. :frown:

15. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    How much is a D3x?...

16. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Exactly! You can't spend it once you're gone :smile:

17. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    Actually I'm thinking 85mm 1.4 or 1.2? Hummm now the wheels in my head are turning. Takes a while at this age.

18. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    I'd invest.

19. Glass,Glass,Glass, & take him to the Cayman Islands.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.