3:10 To Yuma

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ShaunK, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Anyone know where it was filmed? Scenery is fantastic!!!

2. It, like many westerns, was filmed in New Mexico. The film "The Missing" was also shot there.

3. rdle

rdle

Apr 2, 2005
    So. California
    AZ, CA, NM various locations

The information below is from IMDB. It refers to the 1957 version of the film. That's the only one I've seen.
    Excellent Film!

Amerind Foundation - 2100 N. Amerind Road, Dragoon, Arizona, USA

Columbia/Warner Bros. Ranch - 411 N. Hollywood Way, Burbank, California, USA

Elgin, Arizona, USA

Old Tucson - 201 S. Kinney Road, Tucson, Arizona, USA

Sedona, Arizona, USA

Texas Canyon, Arizona, USA

Triangle T Guest Ranch - 4190 Dragoon Road, Dragoon, Arizona, USA

Willcox Playa, Willcox, Arizona, USA

4. Thanks, guys... I was actually referring to the newest version of the film with Christian Bale/Russell Crowe.

Ray, do you know more specifically where in New Mexico? Reason I'm asking is I'm always looking for vacation places for my summer breaks, and this is an easily drivable one (nice and short for with the little kids in the car :smile:).

5. From wikipedia

6. Phil, thanks. I never seem to think about checking wikipedia for something like this! :smile:

7. rdle

rdle

Apr 2, 2005
    So. California
    Oh, didn't know there was another one. The Glenn Ford, Van Heflin one made in 1957 is my third favorite western. It has nice scenery too.

8. This one just came out, earlier this year or last year... I haven't seen the 1957 one, I'll have to check that out... BTW, what are your top 2 favorite westerns? I have been getting back into westerns lately as far as reading goes (used to read Louis L'amour like he was going out of style) and wanted to start watching some western films as well. Saw 3:10 To Yuma, and before that The Shadow Riders, adapted from a L'amour book. What are some other good ones?

9. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    I'm guessing Roger's other two favorites are The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean and The Outlaw Jose Wales (only because those are my two favs.)

Gotta love Silverado, too!

10. jcovert

jcovert Guest

I love old westerns, but wasn't blown away by the new 3:10, is the old one better?

If you guys like westerns, check out the 100-pack of westerns they sell at Best Buy, very nice.

11. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Shaun :

Filmed in my back yard (almost)... Most of the scenery is in easy range from Santa Fe, although access to some areas is limited. Still, you can get to other incredible vistas that you didn't see in 3:10 to Yuma.

Summer's a busy time in NM, and specifically Santa Fe. Last weekend was Spanish Market (Colonial Spanish Art) and three weeks from now is the Santa Fe Indian Market (the 84th !). Hotel rooms can be harder to find and more expensive in this period, but the shows are quite phenomenal.

Autumn's also a great time to visit - the aspens and cottonwoods are changing, the nights start to get crisp, and there's that scent of piñon woodsmoke in the air.

It's not called "The Land of Enchantment" without good reason...

John P.

12. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Pia :

Also filmed in Santa Fe area !

John P.

13. Thanks for the info, John. The school I teach at usually gets out in late May (last week) which is earlier than most schools, and I get a short 4-day break in late October every year, so those would be good times to go, I'm thinking. It's not a for sure thing I'll make it anytime soon, but anytime I see someplace interesting, I write it on a list of possibilities, knowing that I'll hopefully have many summers in which to visit neat areas of the country.

14. In my opinion the original version was much better that the re-make. The interaction of Glenn Ford and Van Heflin is outstanding. The original version has been shown from time to time on television so you may be able to catch it there otherwise try to rent it. Don

15. rdle

rdle

Apr 2, 2005
    So. California
    Pia, those are all great movies. Certainly in my top 50 or so.

Number 1 favorite is "The Searchers". Never can resist it when it's on my Cable Co.'s Western Channel. Tied for second would be in no particular order: "Rio Bravo", "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance", "She Wore A Yellow Ribbon", and "Bad Day At Black Rock". Another one I just remembered is "Lonely Are The Brave", starring Kirk Douglas in a classic role depicting the end of the Cowboy Life in modern society.

16. rdle

rdle

Apr 2, 2005
    So. California
    I concur. The original version of the movie is superb. I don't want to spoil it for people that haven't seen it but let's just say that Glenn Ford's role in the movie is "different" than the roles your accustomed to seeing him play.
    :biggrin: