1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

3 little hawks

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Lou Buscher, Jun 9, 2007.

1. I have been posting the nesting of these red shoulder hawks here and I did have 4 but lost one. I at first just thought it to be the RSH having 4 young as this is a bit rare and a big spread in the hatch time so one will be almost 2 weeks younger and hard to survive. Been following this pair now for 5 years and on their first nesting they had 4 and lost them all to I believe a raccoon getting into the nest so I did place protection the following year.

Well this year there were 4 but I found one day only 3 and I had found some of the tree guard ripped off a small tree near the nest tree and I repaired it but I still felt uncomfortable about the chances of a predator getting up to the nest. I have a 4-foot guard on the nest tree so this one other tree is the only other way up. I decided that night in bed to go first thing in the morning and cut it down. So I did.
    Lou

537091080_d7bd423c4e_o.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2007
  2. 2
    537091076_b062e69184_o.
    Canon EOS 20D    ---    400mm    f/5.6    1/100s    ISO 400

537091074_5055700c4a_o.
    Canon EOS 20D    ---            

537091066_31f18c4086_o.
    Canon EOS 20D    ---            

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    That is just terrific..
    Great shots and poem for the birdies
    Thank You lou

4. Great shots. I have never been able to get that close with my limited lenses.

Bob

5. Your most welcome Gale and thank you for looking. I did not use a chain saw as I did not really want to much disturbance that close to the nest so with a bow saw I cut this tree down that was a lot bigger than I would have though. It was funny as I looked up to the nest I could see 2 little heads looking over the edge.
    Lou

6. Hi Bob well I am very close while cutting the tree down but this is something I considered had to be done or I could loose the hatch that was left. The photos I used most of the time with a 500 +a 1.4 TE or my 1 to 400MM and I am at about 100 to 125 feet from the nest
    I did a test the other day as I was watching them in my scope and not taking any photos but as I watched in the scope I took my camera and with it pointed to the ground from my blind I fired the shutter while I watched the adult roosting on the nest edge. The shutter click made her flinch so bad I could not believe it so I tried once more and the very same thing happened so I did not try any more. Believe it or not I was like I said about 100 to 125 feet and that shutter made her flinch so bad I would consider it DISTURBANCE and with nesting raptors that is breaking a federal law.
    See you in jail
    Lou

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 9, 2007
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.