3 questions about this photo?

Discussion in 'People' started by LAW2, Jul 12, 2007.

1. LAW2

LAW2

Oct 24, 2006
    JAX
    This was a first birthday party I was asked to take pictures of. The lighting was tough with flourescents overhead and natural light coming in from the right. Taken w/the Beast but I don't remember my settings. I still haven't figured out the white balances w/my D50.

First do you like the original?
    DSC_05995x7crop.

Second do you like the PP?
    View attachment 105733

Lastly what do you think about the crop and conversion?
    View attachment 105734

OK actually four questions. Would really appreciate your comments.

2. The color is better in the original version, on my screen the PP version is kind of yellow/green.

The crop of the last version is great!

Don

3. Haibane

Haibane

Aug 14, 2006
    Smyrna, Georgia
    1st color is all wrong. Now the second issue on that image my brother would call a Depth Of Field issue. The second picture. Green tint. Third picture, Best of the three, but still DoF issue

4. LAW2

LAW2

Oct 24, 2006
    JAX
    James,
    What do you mean by DOF issue? I'm guessing that you mean there isn't very much? I did what I could w/the lighting. I used the smallest f-stop I could and still keep the SS around 1/60. Most of the time this meant 2.8 or a tad smaller.
    On a side note what's the best way to describe f-stops? When I say smaller I mean the physical opening of the aperture, ex. f-11 is smaller than f-4. Is this the best way to talk about our settings?

5. Cute snap. I think you have gone a little too light on the second one and it is sort of desaturated as a result. I like the crop on the last one.

6. Haibane

Haibane

Aug 14, 2006
    Smyrna, Georgia
    Leland, You got me on the small large thing I hate that. I must admit I am a bit shocked 2.8 gave you those results. I might have tried a 6.3 though if it were me, but that is because I have multiple flashes and don't mind venturing into 3200 or 6400 (and can, just noticed d50). Maybe the camera locked focus on something else? I am not sure, but it just looks like one of those shots I captured the moment in, but I did something wrong on the photography side... you know silly me.

7. Haibane

Haibane

Aug 14, 2006
    Smyrna, Georgia
    Don't worry Leland, I am going to put up some pictures you can rip apart. ;). Oh and everything I say take with a grain of salt as I am no expert, I just have a preference.