3 Shots from tonite's sunset ...

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Boobie Joe, Apr 13, 2005.

1. I dedicate those to Hans ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Comments and questions welcome ...

:lol: :lol:
    :lol:

:lol:
    :lol: :lol: :lol:
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

2. Simply beautiful Yves. Love what you did to the water in the first one and the other two are just really special.

3. 3 fantastic shots here !

The water flow in the first is brilliant - I've never managed to get such a smooth flow look.
    Second - the blue / grey overall theme with an orange streak of light through the middle is superb - and it's all natural !
    The last one is a very simple winter scene - but still an excellent shot and the cloud patterns are great.

All three are wall hangers - what more can I say !!!

4. Couldn't possibly have put it better, so I've simply quoted Gordon.

5. pbenedic

pbenedic

Mar 9, 2005
    Yves...

simply STUNNING!
    I know you've probably been asked this a million times, but could you please post your workflow steps (or a link) for your post capture work for shots like these.
    Maybe in my wildest dreams, I could make a shot or two that approach the quality of yours.

Thanks.

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Gorgeous Yves. Only problem is that now I won't ever be able to post a sunset again.... 8)

OK, maybe in a couple of years....;-)

And yes, we are all keeping Harris and Mary, and Melissa and her brother and sister-in-law in our thoughts. If anything photographic can help, these are it.

Regards,

Frank

7. Stunning! I would suggest that pic #3 would make a great seasonal study..... this is early spring, take another at same spot late spring, then mid summer, then autumn, etc etc. The water, sky and foliage will tell a lot, esp the deciduous trees on the right - look like maples to me.
    Love the dreaminess in the first one, did you take any others of this scene at different exposures, other than the 10 sec and if so, what was your reason for deciding on this one? Not doubting you, just wondering how you critique your own pics for publication. Excellent, keep it up! Cheers, Sandi

9. Re: Yves...

Here it is ...:

Since this forum is a tribune where we can share or thoughts and expertise, I decided to post what seems to be my Digital Darkroom Workflow.

Many people are asking me this thru emails and everytime, I cut and paste it from my word document. So, here is a condensed of what I do to make an image ready to be either posted or printed.

Of course, it all starts with a good set up in the camera that will (should) vary uppon the work you are shooting. Key element, good Exposure and White Balance. The rest is good composition (although fixable by cropping) and good focus (helped by good lenses and good camera handling).

As a personnal choice, I prefer to shoot in NEF or RAW (with the other brand) most of the time (90/10). So here it goes ...

I would open my image (NEF) in NC 4.1 after viewing it at 100%

I usually upsize the image in NC 4.1 if it is a little noisier than usual otherwise I don't bother doing it. If not noisy, I will upsample it in PSCS after cropping and cleaning (further step in the process)

I then procede with a curve adj. if it is necessary (mostly on portraits). Since I do not like magenta too much, I usually take a bit of the blue channel off. Not too much though.

Once the curves have been visited, it is time to look for an Advanced RAW attempt by going from low contrast to low mid and normal (I never exceed this point). Next step, color mode (wich I rarely move from the original shoot) and then hue adj (usually +3 or +6, in cam setting is +3)

If necessary I go see my White Balance and confirm selecting a grey point, I rarely touch this as I tend to adust this prior to the shooting session.

I NEVER touch sharpening (USM) in NC, I feel it brings too much noise and distortion of pixels to the image (very personal).

For landscapes, I sometimes play with the color booster slider pushing it between 5 and 15, sometimes 20. I usually don't touch it for portraits and products.

Next step, I will save it over the NEF file (as it is non permanent).

I then save it as Tif and reopen it in Photoshop CS (or wathever the version). If I am going to make a print, I save it in 16 bit otherwise 8 bit works for me.

Clean the dust bunnies and crop if necessary (usually is for fitting the print format). Now here is the tricky part.

If the image is noisy (too much), I will duplicate the layer and apply NR several times with a new layer every time too avoid the washed look of NR. I usually use a very low transparency level and play quite a bit with the eraser. Flatten all layers.

Once to my taste, I do last check and adjustments for colors and contrast also by doing it in layers to minimise the effect of oversaturation.

If it goes to printing I will do an upsample of the file thru PSCS using the images size and bring it up for 4X bicubic smoother with 3% increments at the time and the fift at 3 % but with biubic sharper until I reach the size of the print. One quick layer of Focal Blade sharpening at low settings I then save it up as Tiff and keep this as a final file.

If it goes on the web, I do a resize to either 930 pixel wide

(if necessary) I do a sharpening layer with Fred Miranda Nikon CS pro sharpener (I use very Low level as setting), readjust the layer to a 70% transparency and flatten the layer. IMPORTANT, I do a SAVE AS rather than using SAVE FOR WEB with destroys the image IMO and try to keep the image file size around 280kb (usually quality 10) in jpeg and voila ...

Hope this helps answering a few questions you had ...Since this forum is a tribune where we can share or thoughts and expertise, I decided to post what seems to be my Digital Darkroom Workflow.

Many people are asking me this thru emails and everytime, I cut and paste it from my word document. So, here is a condensed of what I do to make an image ready to be either posted or printed.

Of course, it all starts with a good set up in the camera that will (should) vary uppon the work you are shooting. Key element, good Exposure and White Balance. The rest is good composition (although fixable by cropping) and good focus (helped by good lenses and good camera handling).

As a personnal choice, I prefer to shoot in NEF or RAW (with the other brand) most of the time (90/10). So here it goes ...

I would open my image (NEF) in NC 4.1 after viewing it at 100%

I usually upsize the image in NC 4.1 if it is a little noisier than usual otherwise I don't bother doing it. If not noisy, I will upsample it in PSCS after cropping and cleaning (further step in the process)

I then procede with a curve adj. if it is necessary (mostly on portraits). Since I do not like magenta too much, I usually take a bit of the blue channel off. Not too much though.

Once the curves have been visited, it is time to look for an Advanced RAW attempt by going from low contrast to low mid and normal (I never exceed this point). Next step, color mode (wich I rarely move from the original shoot) and then hue adj (usually +3 or +6, in cam setting is +3)

If necessary I go see my White Balance and confirm selecting a grey point, I rarely touch this as I tend to adust this prior to the shooting session.

I NEVER touch sharpening (USM) in NC, I feel it brings too much noise and distortion of pixels to the image (very personal).

For landscapes, I sometimes play with the color booster slider pushing it between 5 and 15, sometimes 20. I usually don't touch it for portraits and products.

Next step, I will save it over the NEF file (as it is non permanent).

I then save it as Tif and reopen it in Photoshop CS (or wathever the version). If I am going to make a print, I save it in 16 bit otherwise 8 bit works for me.

Clean the dust bunnies and crop if necessary (usually is for fitting the print format). Now here is the tricky part.

If the image is noisy (too much), I will duplicate the layer and apply NR several times with a new layer every time too avoid the washed look of NR. I usually use a very low transparency level and play quite a bit with the eraser. Flatten all layers.

Once to my taste, I do last check and adjustments for colors and contrast also by doing it in layers to minimise the effect of oversaturation.

If it goes to printing I will do an upsample of the file thru PSCS using the images size and bring it up for 4X bicubic smoother with 3% increments at the time and the fift at 3 % but with biubic sharper until I reach the size of the print. One quick layer of Focal Blade sharpening at low settings I then save it up as Tiff and keep this as a final file.

If it goes on the web, I do a resize to either 930 pixel wide

(if necessary) I do a sharpening layer with Fred Miranda Nikon CS pro sharpener (I use very Low level as setting), readjust the layer to a 70% transparency and flatten the layer. IMPORTANT, I do a SAVE AS rather than using SAVE FOR WEB with destroys the image IMO and try to keep the image file size around 280kb (usually quality 10) in jpeg and voila ...

Hope this helps answering a few questions you had ...

10. I already did this study there must be a few pictures in my PBase related to this scene.

I did not take too many shots at slower speed. I really wanted the slow flowing effect, the water is riding quite fast at this time of the year from snow melting, I like the soft effect, I am a cliché guy I guess. My next attempt, overcolorize this scene ... With filters of course.

11. Yves,

Just absolutley gorgeous. You live around a......well.....gorgeous area. The second shot is my favorite out of the three. :) :) :) :)

12. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Stunning Yves, just stunning.

And thanks for yet again posting your workflow - it's always helpful.

Neil

13. pbenedic

pbenedic

Mar 9, 2005
    Wow!!

Thanks for taking the time to post this.
    Thanks also for looking at my photos.

14. Thanks for sharing these Yves. They are all fantastic but in the last one, the water ripples are so detailed. I like that and the reflections as well.

15. One word simply fantastic.... u r da man

16. hans

hans

Feb 5, 2005
    The Netherlands
    That last one is an eye catcher,great

Thanks for putting up your workflow always learning from this

17. They are splendid, Yves! Compliments.

18. :D
    :D

:D :D

Thx everyone for the kind comments

:oops: :oops:

:oops:
    :oops: :oops:

19. Bubba

Bubba

Apr 12, 2005
    Alabama
    Shots 1 and 2 are fantastic...but shot 3 makes me want to move there right this moment.

Great shots.