3 unrelated photos

Discussion in 'People' started by Chris101, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I really liked PJohnP's C&C thread, so here's one of mine. Three, off-normal photographs for you amusement, comment and critique. Don't be afraid to tell me to keep my day job, I intend to, but these are all artsy shots, created from multiple exposures (#1), with alternative lighting (#2) and a black and white conversion to create tension and imbalance (#3). Here they are, do your stuff, please:

1) Measured
    [​IMG]

2) Don't Be Harsh.
    [​IMG]

3) First Time On Skates
    [​IMG]

Remember I asked for a critique, but, if you feel compelled to tell me how cute my girlfriend's 5 year old is, please do. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. Hi Chris,

I'm not very "arty", but I shall give you my comments anyway.

#1 - I really like this. It took me some moments to realise what it was. I could definitely imagine this printed up big and put up on the wall. It is definitely my favourite.

#2 - This one has definitely got an atmosphere to it - a real gritty one, due to the lighting and your post processing of the image. I could imagine this on the sort of postcard they sell in the likes of "Athena".

#3 - Well your girlfriend's daughter is a real doll, but it is my least favourite of the bunch. For me it lacks sufficient contrast to be really effective.

They are my thoughts, for what they are worth. I appreciate you posting these Chris. It's this sort of stuff that can spur us on to greater things.

3. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Chris:

Well, I am, of course, flattered to be commented on and my post linked. Now, why didn't you use the "C&C" in the thread title ? :rolleyes:

I like No. 2 a lot. It's stark and has impact. I'm not quite so sure about the crop, as I might have liked the subject a bit less centred in the photo, but then, you'd have lost that flare on the right (which I like).

In No. 3, the kid has some neat lighting with the bannister rail/spindle light and shadows (second floor window with bannister above, right ?), but the background stairs and railing clash with the subject. I'd consider reducing the background in some manner, although I can't offer a way to do this as I'm not the PS wiz that you are.

As for "cute", well, I don't go down those roads with anybody's GF's kids. It's kinda like being asked if an outfit makes a person "look fat". Ever tell a kid they look "cute" ? Argh. Almost no good answers for those questions... :wink:

John P.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  4. Your first image was like taking a Rorschach ink blot test but after stepping back and looking again Voila, there it was in all its glory. Very creative. Your second image "is" harsh but yet it captures the beauty of the young lady in a unique and pleasing manner. With number three you have surpassed even your normal warped vison (I say that lovingly) and captured this enigmatic youngster enjoying life.:smile: :smile: Chris, you are the best and your work cries out to be seen by the masses.

5. Critique, here goes:

1. interesting but I don't like the grid lines

2. I like the high contrast of this one, best of the bunch

3. this one is a bit bizarre, leaves you with kind of a strange feeling

6. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

7. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi chris-

#1: it looks like a photo from some lab equipment because of the background grid. i would prefer a plain background, then it looks like calligraphy.

#2: scary is the word that comes to mind.

#3: i like the way the shadows on her hair line up with the bannister, but the bannister looks like it's impaled on her hair. the diagonal line draws all attention to her hair. the shadows on her clothing clash with the plaid pattern, it's too busy. i wonder if it would look better if you increased the contrast of the photo?

ricky

8. I also have problems with #3. The background stairs show where she has come from (presumably) but detracts for the image with the bannister running into her head. I think this is a composition issue. I also think her eys should be the center of the photo, instead of just to the left, as you have done. I am not a big fan of cutting subjects off at the knees - either include the feet or below her hands. Alternatively, with the lower crop on the shins, maybe if you left less space at the top of the photo it might work.

Having said that, I like where you are going with these photos, and I am looking forward to more. In fact, you have motivated my to try something like this myself - so imitation is the highest form of flattery!

9. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

I like them all. Each for it's own uniqueness.

Regardless of my "personal" taste or preference for a photo, these all represent different techniques that push the envelope of photography.

Bottom line: You achieved what you wanted with each. Good job!

Ken

10. I love the second one...reminds me of those mornings when you just party way too hard and realize you're somewhere you're not supposed to be, minus your socks!

11. #1, I like it, don't know why.