1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

300 2.8 and uv front filter?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by flygirl1, May 28, 2007.

1. I have a 300 2.8 and a B+W front UV filter for it. I bought the filter when I bought the lens many years ago, pre digital. Anyway, would like opinions on whether people would use it for protection or not? The lens is in my signature. Opinions appreciated.:smile: I have been using it, but of late been taking it off:confused: . Do not know if I could really tell a difference.

Thanks all
    Nancy

2. I never use filters on my lenses. With raw and digital, with the exception of circular polar or ND filter for masking parts of a scene I see no benefit. Also, it is another piece of glass between the scene and the sensor.

There are those who recommend them to protect your investment, the lens. That's a prudent decision, but I'm willing to live with that risk, having never dropped a lens or camera to date. Yes, I know it might happen, but with nine lenses, most in the 77-105mm range, that's another lens by the time I cover every one of them.

Rich

3. Guest-002

Guest-002 Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    Worcester, MA
    I use high quality (Nikon L37c) UV filters on my better lenses. Many years ago, in my Minolta film SLR days, a filter sacrificed itself to save the front element of lens and I've always felt more comfortable with the extra level of protection. I haven't had any problems with flare.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.