300 2.8 visits the zoo (again)...

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by gnagel, Sep 5, 2008.

1. It rained the entire day here in Chicago yesterday. So, I visited some indoor exhibits at the Brookfield Zoo with my D700, 300 2.8 lens and SB-800. EXIF information is embedded within each photo:

#1: Bird inside ceiling (24-70 lens...just this 1 photo!)
    p643264213-5.png

#2: Macaw feathers I
    View attachment 247922

#3: Orangutang
    View attachment 247923

#4: The Prisoner
    View attachment 247924

#5: Red head
    View attachment 247925

#6: Rolls off his back
    View attachment 247926

#7: Feathers of two birds
    View attachment 247927

#8: Passing by
    View attachment 247928

#9: Lounging around
    View attachment 247929

Thanks again for looking...
    Glenn

2. Astounding

Truly great pictures :smile:

3. Thank you...

I was impressed with the ability to shoot at higher ISO settings (some with ISO 1200) without using any noise reduction. I also continue to be surprised that sharp photos can be achieved with the 300 2.8 at shutter speeds of 1/60th and slower!

Glenn

4. Agreed! The D700 is obviously doing it's job very well. Not to mention the guy shooting too! Very nice!

5. Glenn

Very nice work. I keep going back to pic #8, the DOF and exposure just click with me. Now the 300 2.8 is on my wish list. Thanks for showing us what good skills and glass can achieve.............

Cheers

Ted:smile:

6. lr0868

lr0868

May 25, 2008
    henderson, nv
    AMAZING!!

I was planning a trip to the zoo this weekend I can only dream of pics this nice

7. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    those feathers are fantastic. great shootin'

8. andrzejmakal

andrzejmakal

Apr 30, 2008
    Poland
    SuperFine...as always:)
    Cheers

9. They are postcards! Wonderful shots- many thanks for sharing.

10. Hi Glenn,

Not only are these great captures but color, composition and sharpness are just fantastic. I keep telling myself to get to the zoo and still haven't done it. Your shots are very inspiring.

11. Very well done! I love the zoo. Your detail work and composition are excellent. Love the feather shots.

12. Great zoo set, Glenn. The VR on the 300 really lets ya get down low doesn't it. :smile:

13. Thanks Scott

14. Ted,

Thanks for looking and for commenting.

I tend to use f/2.8 almost all the time with the 300mm lens. I like how it isolates subjects.

The pic #8 was also captured with f/2.8. However, for some of the feather shots, I went with f/13.

Thanks again,
    Glenn

15. Thanks Lisa...

I am a member of the Brookfield Zoo, so I visit quite frequently (8 to 10 times per year). It is a fantastic place to practice photography!

When I realized that it was going to rain all day, I took the opportunity to go to the zoo. I knew that nobody would be at the zoo. That way, I could set up my tripod and use off-camera flash without a problem.

The more time I spend at the zoo, the more I learn about how the animals behave. It can really help the compositions. I tend to visit just two or three exhibits while I'm there--so I watch a particular animal for quite a while!

Glenn

16. Thanks Darren...

I must have at least 15 more feather shots. But, I tried to limit it to two for the thread!

Glenn

17. Thank you Andrzej

18. Thanks David

19. Thanks Robert...I love shooting at the zoo. It's one of the main reasons I invested in a more powerful telephoto lens.

Glenn

20. Thanks Mike