300/2.8 VR - 2 Questions

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Riki, Jun 25, 2005.

1. Riki

Riki

May 7, 2005
    Warsaw, Poland
    1) What is the need for using a NC filter which as stated in the manual is a must, when it is only a protective filter and I cannot understand what it is supposed to protect since it is embedded right in the middle of the lens.

2) The manual also recommends the use of a optional Circular Polariser. How is one to use a polariser when it is not possible to rotate the ring ? Does it have to be left at 1200 position ?

Will appreciate if some user can clarify these queries, thanks.

2. nfoto

nfoto Guest

The NC filter is actually behind the rear element so indeed acts as a protective device. It also helps to filter out any UV that might have passed the optics.

The polariser can replace the NC filter in the drop-in slot. You rotate it by using a thumbwheel on the outside. It works very efficiently.

3. Riki

Riki

May 7, 2005
    Warsaw, Poland
    Thanks Bjorn for your reply.
    NC use noted.
    Will check out the polariser as advised.
    Thanks again

4. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    Bjorn,
    Do you use hot mirror filters with te D2H?
    If so, how does one use them with the 300 VR? Do you get a IR cut filter and use it in the drop in filter slot?

I would be using it for sports, so I want to be careful with uniform colors.

thanks

5. nfoto

nfoto Guest

The IR issue would be for indoor shooting with artificial light sources and setting some kind of automatic w/b. Since this light source is very deficient in blue, and IR contamination can influence red and blue pixels, you may get get reddish or purple hues in black areas of the frame.

An IR-cut or hot-mirror filter would alleviate this issue. Just make sure it fits the filter slot of the 300, because it is quite narrow. Some ordinary B+W filters don't fit, you need the "slim" version.

Since I don't own the 300 VR myself this is a moot point for me. Besides, I like IR.