300 2.8 vr gimbal head question

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by StL_Don, Dec 26, 2005.

1. I know that in spite of Nikon saying leave VR on when using a tripod it is the general consensus that it should be off.

My question is what about when using a gimbal head such as a Sidekick?

I have not had time to play with my new SK to test it for myself and I'm afraid I won't before heading to SW Florida Wednesday AM.

Don

2. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    Off

I always turn VR off when the lens/camera is fixed. I believe the 70-200 was the first one that they recommended leaving it on.

3. Kevin Rosenberg

Kevin Rosenberg

May 10, 2005
    Good question

I've used the 200-400/4 VR for the past year. Nikon recommends VR set to normal even when fixed on a tripod. I have very good success shooting birds in flight using a sidekick and VR in normal.

I recently acquired a 300/2.8 VR and will be using it with a sidekick this week for bird flights in the Bosque del Apache. My initial use will be with VR off with the lens locked and VR normal while tracking. I'll be shooting with Ron Reznick who uses a sidekick and 300/2.8 VR. I'll post his opinion on the subject when I return from the shoot.

Kevin

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    You lucky duck, shooting with Ron :>))

5. Not me - unless a Cafe member decides to join me in Florida I'll be shooting alone.

Wish I was going to be with Ron and who knows, maybe someday I'll get the opportunity.

Don

6. Kevin Rosenberg

Kevin Rosenberg

May 10, 2005
    Yes, it should be illuminating and fun as usual with him. I'm fortunate to live close to the Bosque so I hope to get 3 shoots there this season.

Kevin