300 2.8's at the Olympics?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by keith5523, Jul 20, 2008.

1. So if the 300 2.8 VR's aren't in stock because all of the NPS folks are getting them for the Olympics, does that mean some will be available for resell AFTER the Olympics? I guess I thought most of the photogs with Olympic's credentials already HAD this lens, so if they're just now getting them, is it a once in a lifetime thing and they'll dispose of the lens afterwards?

If so, I'm a prospect....send me a pm

Keith
    North Carolina

2. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    I know after the 1984 Olymipic's is LA "they" where selling
    Nikkor 300 F2 ED-IF. So I think the same deals might be had in China with the 300 VR. I would be carefull of scams.

3. I think we're going to be seeing a lot of Nikon cameras and glass this Olympics. With the D3 holding the low-light crown and Nikon covered with all their 2.8 zooms and VR telephotos, I see no reason for them not to have a strong showing this year.

4. dsokol

dsokol Guest

It would make sense that all pro's going to the Olympics already are excellent sports photographers that have used pro 2.8 glass for years. You don't just get selected to shoot the Olympics and then all of a sudden realize you should buy a 300 2.8, you probably already have one or you'll use the company's pool lens.
    I've been disappointed as well, since I have been looking for this lens for months.

5. barnclos

barnclos Guest

It is no consolation to people in the USA who are waiting, but I think that there is more than the Olympics at play in the supply of the new lenses. I managed to get a 300/2.8 VR here in Switzerland quite easily (2 week wait) - EXCEPT, it is about 25-30% more expensive here.

All this leads me to think that Nikon are managing their supply:
    1st priority, pro's off to the Olympics;
    2nd priority, high margin sales regions such as Europe;
    3rd priority, lower margin sales regions.

It'll be interesting to hear from other Europeans about their experience as, contrary to its expensive reputation (which in most instances is based upon reality :frown:), Switzerland is one of the cheaper places :smile: to buy cameras/lenses in Europe ('cos the VAT/sales tax rates are much lower here).

All the best

6. gfx1

gfx1

Mar 31, 2008
    the Netherlands
    A quick check in holland, two stores have it on order, one in stock (kamera-express.nl) for
    4350 euro thats around $6900 incl. tax (19%).

7. roemer

roemer

Apr 3, 2008
    netherlands

Today i finally got a notifier from Kamera-express that they had the lens in stock again (a very limited number) i've waited nearly three months to get one,so I jumped at the occasion and ordered a copy.
    Finally, (as i read somewhere on this forum) "glass of the gods" within reach.

8. gfx1

gfx1

Mar 31, 2008
    the Netherlands
    Too bad it's a bit on the expensive side, they are listed but out of stock for $4300 - $4500 at bhphoto.com (ex. tax)
    Congratulations on the new lens :smile:

9. Man I saw a used copy on sale for $3500 at Samys Camera awhile back, I should of picked it up!

10. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    too cheap, i'd be worried
    i did get one for that exact price but it was from our very own Harrison