300/4 pf vs 300 f/2.8 VR1

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Randy, Feb 20, 2017.

1. for those that have shot both pls compare them at f/4
    How does the pf compare for IQ with and without a 1.4 tc
    Thx

I'm considering a switch but the 300 2.8's weight doesn't bother me but lighter is always better, especially this much weight drop

2. I've shot both and honestly can't say that the 2.8 is head and shoulder's better than the pf. The one clear advantage of course is 2.8 vs 4 for low light captures.
    Too bad you're so far away otherwise I would lend you my pf to compare.
    oops correction my 2.8 was the vr II

3. Thx bob
    This is a tough decision as the 300vr is my best lens for IQ. I didn't expect a buyer after 1 day. I'm leaning towards canceling the FS

4. I can understand your dilemma. If you can still handhold easily enough and you're not sure about letting the 2.8 go then by all means enjoy it. I do have moments when I regret selling my 2.8 but then the portability of the pf, arguably balances out the regret.

5. RoyC01

RoyC01

Jan 6, 2011
    SE USA
    While the 300PF is a nice light lens, good image quality and a lens that I will continue to carry, it is not up to the quality of the 300 f2.8. When Nikon brings out the FL version of the 300 f2.8 I will be picking up one as replacement of the 300 f2.8 VRII. The 300 f2.8 is just to great of a handheld BIF lens not to have one at hand.

6. I hadn't considered a 300/2.8 FL, thanks for that
    I'm going to pass on the 300/4
    thanks Bob
    I'm going to keep the 300vr

7. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

I sold my 300/2.8 VRI....but the reason is that I can NOT handhold it and thus I seldom use it. It was in like-new condition, too!

8. if you could have still held it would you have kept it ?

9. Hey Randy did you sell your Sigma 120-300mm S?

10. Nope

11. I had a 300 f/2.8 VR I for about 4 years. Fantastic lens, but it felt like I was going on a major expedition every time I wanted to take it out. It wasn't the weight so much, but rather, it's just big and bulky. Not really something you can carry on a walk around. I sold it a few years ago, because it just wasn't being used very much. Sold the 1.4 TC at the same time.

Picked up the 300 f/4 PF this past summer. It is a nice lens, even though it doesn't really compare to the 300 /2.8. On the other hand, it will probably get used more.

I can't take pictures with a lens I leave at home.

12. Butlerkid

The lens was/is tack sharp. Probably the best Nikon lens I've owned....except for the 500mm.

I simply find the 500mm more useful most of the time - but on a tripod or monopod with gimbal of course. Tracking osprey from a boat in Florida last year, I tried using the 300/2.8 hand held. After about an hour I was too tired to use it. I switched to the 80-400 and had MUCH more success. (BTW - I didn't get a single keeper from the 300mm, but in fairness we had very little "reachable" activity during the time I tried hand holding the 300mm.) I'm sure the 300/f4 PF with 1.4 tele would be better than the 80-400.

However, I'm thinking I'd rather take the money from the 300/2.8 sale (a lens I wasn't using anyway) and use it to help fund the D5!!!!! I still have my 70-200/2.8 VRII, 1.4 tele and my 80-400 for times when the 500mm is not appropriate.

Perhaps in the future I will get a lighter 300-400mm lens.

13. Ann_JS

Ann_JS

Feb 18, 2015
    New York State
    Karen:
    I had a feeling that you too would be in pursuit of a D5 before too long!
    I have never owned any camera as superb as my D5 and I am thrilled to bits with its performance.

14. Butlerkid

You are a naughty influence, Ann!!!! If I do get the D5, I may have to ask you a few questions on how best to set it up! LOL!

15. Hello,
    Sold my 300 f2.8 and bought the 300f4. The WEIGHT is great and for my shooting, perfect. However with such angst among my fellow shooters over the two 300's, I have decided to buy a lottery ticket and after I win, TREAT all of you to a new 300f4.0.

16. I haven't used the 300 f4, so my comments are probably not very meaningful. But, I would have a very hard time giving up the image quality of the 300 2.8. I would have an even harder time giving up the 2.8 aperture! I own some very sharp lenses--including the 200 f2, 300 2.8 and 500 f4. Of those, the 200 f2 is my sharpest, the 300 2.8 comes next (but isn't far behind) and then the 500 f4 (no slouch, but not as sharp as the other two).

One cure for alleviating the heavy feeling of the 300 2.8 is to carry the 500 f4 around for a while. After that, the 300 2.8 feels like a perfectly viable walk around lens!

Glenn

17. Butlerkid

Anybody know how the new 300 f4 PF compares in image quality to the "regular" 300 AF-S f4? 1.7 lbs vs 3.2 lbs. I can handle 3.2 lbs! LOL!

18. I just got the 500e and the feel is a lot better, it weighs the same as the 300vr
    I came to my senses, the 300vr will only be sold for a 300e

19. Randy, talk with Bill Dewey, he has the 300 pf and loves it. I'm tempted to buy one after selling my 80-400mm, in the decision process currently. I've shot some with the 300 pf while out with Bill and in my opinion it is tack sharp and a pleasure to use. I too had a 300/2.8 perhaps one the best lens I've owned but sold it due to weight and carrying it around like I currently do the 80-400mm. Nice to have all of these choices isn't it?

20. I'm surprised you sold the 80-400