300 F/2.8 on D300 vs 300 F/2.8 + 1.4TC on D3 ?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by kiwi, Jul 29, 2008.

1. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    At say ISO1600 "wide open" what would result in the better sports image do you think ?

I'm doing a bit of long-range planning :smile:

2. Tough call. I'd like to know as well. 1st scenario you get 2.8 but a 1.5x crop. 2nd scenario, you're using a TC and loose an f-stop, but gain full-frame and better high ISO.

Samples would be great too!

3. adrianaitken

adrianaitken Guest

Or a D3 with 300mm and then crop in NX/PS etc.

4. I shoot both combos and prefer the naked 300 on the gripped D300. Same with using the 200 f2 VR. :cool: 

5. Hi Will,
    Are you saying that you prefer the D300 over the D3 for action sports. I'm plotting my next camera body purchase and debating between the D300 and D700, and I shoot a lot of sports.
    Hmmm... Fred

6. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    i prefer the D300 + 300/2.8 + 1.4 TC
    perfect for soccer, 1600 might be a little too much, i like to stay at 1200 or less if i have shadows or need to crop alot

if I ever use the D3 for soccer it will have to be with a 400/2.8 + 1.4 TC

I prefer to stay in the endzone between the endline and the goalie and just spend the entire game there w/ my monopod and my little stool, so i need 420mm and f4 is fine

7. rich_h

rich_h

Oct 9, 2007
    Colorado
    I shoot both and agree with Randy. The D300 with a 300/2.8 will be better than a D3/300/TC14 if you need the reach. For indoor sports like hockey, basketball, and gymnastics the D3 will win because you need ISO 1600 or above. I much prefer the D3 body to the D300 but the pixel density of the D300 does make a difference. You also will get more depth of field with the 300/2.8 on a D300 then you will with a 300/TC14E on a D3.

8. TimK

TimK

Apr 17, 2006
    Hong Kong, China
    Under good lighting the D300 will be preferred. Nothing can replace pixel density.

9. Yes, pixel density as mentioned a few times. I see no D3 AF advantage with fast glass
    and as you know I love to shoot naked (w/o TC) whenever possible. If shooting
    indoors I like the D3 w/ 200VR or the 85 f1.4 as they're sometimes too long
    with a 1.5 crop body. You know to be sure Fred, I'd lobby for both! :biggrin:

10. Dennis Carter

Dennis Carter

Jun 29, 2007
    USA

I hope my question is relevant and not considered a hijack.

Randy, I've admired your soccer shots for quite some time now. With this rig are you able to capture your superb goalie shots from across the field? With or without cropping? I'm speaking of up to high school size fields.

Thanks.

11. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    no...it's just a little too much of a crop
    for the U9 fields I am OK....

This is one of the reasons I want a 400/2.8 but the biggest reason is to shoot 400 at 2.8

If I get goalie shots anymore they are during warmups.
    On a rare occasion (usually when asked by a parent) I will take the 70-200 and move to the 20yr line and shoot the goalie.

12. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    OK, interesting stuff. Makes me think D300 is the preferred option here for me.

I guess the biggest issue is noise, ISO1600 is kind of OK for the D300 and I can "get away" with ISO1600 for the pro sports I am doing in TV stadiums, but sometimes it would be nice to shoot faster with more ISO and I guess this is where the D3 comes into it's own. So, maybe that's the clincher how often I need to shoot at say ISO3200+ where maybe D3 is the only answer and just lose either reach or an extra stop if using a TC.

13. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    buy them both (D3 & D300)...after the 70-200 & 300vr it shouldn't matter much anymore anyway
    and you will be done then (lol, no way you will ever be done...do you have an 85 1.4 yet, I got a used one last month.....WOW)...and we both have the 400/2.8 and 200/2 waiting for us

14. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    Randy, if I could come up there and slap you silly I would !! You are seriously bad for my financial health.

By the way - I got a 300 2.8 AF-S Version I, not the VR. It's currently clearing in customs and should be here by the weekend

Must say though this 70-200 VR has me in awe, what a great piece of glass.

15. I'm wondering if the new D700 might be an option. Does anyone know if the D700 will perform like the D3 related to higher ISO? Hope its okay to ask that here - probably surfing the D700 forum would answer this better. But just a thought to save a few bucks and still go FX. Maybe one of the lucky D3 owners could speak to this option.

16. Yes, by all accounts the D700 has the same ISO capabilities as the D3.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.