300 f/4 PF Compatibility with TC-14E Generations

I am new to Nikon teleconverters and am interested in purchasing a 1.4X model for use on my 300/4 PF VR. After reading the official Nikon teleconverter compatibility table, it appears that all three generations of the TC-14E (i.e. TC-14E, TC-14E II and TC-14E III) are compatible with this lens in terms of AF, but there are few specifics. There must be some improvements with the newer generations of this teleconverter, otherwise is there a reason not to buy a used first generation TC-14E? I am also interested in knowing if all three generations support VR with this lens.

Any assistance or comments from those of you owning this lens and having used these 1.4X TCs will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

Rick

Thank you, Jim and gryphon1911. Very much appreciated! I had thought that the distinction might have been full VR support only with the newest model, nice to know that 300/4 PF VR works with all three.

I've seen some attractive prices on used copies of the older models, might as well save some money and buy one in good condition.

Thank you again!

The TC-14E and TC-14E II are optically the same, just different from the outside. The TC-14E III is a new and improved optical formula, but it has certain compatibility issues with older lenses.

I scored a mint TC-14E I for about $80 USD a few weeks ago, works great with my 70-200mm f/2.8 VR II and 300mm f/4 PF VR!

The TC-14E and TC-14E II are optically the same, just different from the outside. The TC-14E III is a new and improved optical formula, but it has certain compatibility issues with older lenses.
That's exactly right. I used to own the first version and thought it worked well, and it made no sense 'upgrading' to version 2 (which was different paint texture). After a fashion I did get Version III (got a good deal) and compared the two. In the central area it was hard to find a difference. Version 3 is a bit sharper near the edges. In my case I also thought version 3 had a bit more contrast. I did end up keeping v3 and selling v1 but that decision was based, in part, on the deal I got on V3. We're talking nits.....

That said, I believe v3 was 'made' for the new E series long lenses and I did my testing with a 500/4 E. As it happened, I sold my last remaining non-compatible V3 lens before I got the newest tele so I had no compatibility issues to complicate matters.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom