300 f4 + 6T

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by kramp, Jul 8, 2005.

1. Finally I recieved my 77-62mm step down ring, so I went out and tried it out, didn't do much for lighting just flash on camera itt-bl -1 ev.

Frame is about 26mm wide so too close for fitting a whole dragon or even a damsel in the frame, a 5T might be better for the bigger creatures.

doest't work to bad though, what do you think?

Cherry-Faced Meadowhawk, these ones are very red.
    [​IMG]

Wasp or Bee, I don't know, not very big.
    [​IMG]

Hover Fly on Hydrangea.
    [​IMG]

Hand held, with the wind blowing pretty good.

Martin

2. Hi Martin,

These are quite amazing details, don't know how you guys get so close without scaring the critters away.

What was the working distance with the 6T attached? I am thinking about getting the 6T to go with my 105mm micro (with a step up ring) and 85mm. Is it worth the trouble?

Regards,
    Jonathan

3. Hi Martin

Great shots Martin, luv the dragonfly eyes!!!!!!!! :shock: LOl........
    sweet shot

4. Thanks Jonathan, the working distance is about 13 1/2" from the end of the lens.

The 6T works great with macro lenses, zoom lenses or any prime, longer the lens more affect it will have. I use mine on the Tamron 90 and 200 f4 micro with great results it even works well with my 70-300ED.

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Excellent shots Martin. Based on your description of the working distance I assume that the 6T is very similar in effect to the 500D. Could you possibly contrast the similarities and differences.

In other words, are these so similar that it wouldn't pay to get both, or do they have completely different characteristics?

Thanks,

6. Martin,
    These are quite amazing. The detail is far greater than the average person ever sees. Thanks for posting these. The last, handheld in the breeze is quite good also.

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I love your Cherry Dragon. What a beautiful face.
    Posed nicely for you.
    Beautiful color.

8. I like them all. But I like very much the look that the first one has.

9. Re: Hi Martin

Thanks Keith, zoom sure would have been nice.

Martin

10. Hi Frank, the differences are the 500D comes in different diameters although the 77mm is the most common one used since if fits nicely on the 70-200 and is a 2 diopter and costs more, the 6T comes in 62mm and is a 2.9 and costs less, there is also a 4T which is 52mm and also 2.9.

There is also a 3T and 5T wich are 1.5 diopters. And Canon has a 250D made for shorter lenses that is a +4.

These can be stacked for more magnification and on the 200 f4 micro they should be put on backwords for the best results.

If more magnification is required then a 6T would be worth purchasing with a step down ring, now vignetting will result because of the digital crop.

Thanks for the comment.

Martin

11. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    Nice shots, Martin. Likely I am biased, however, because I also use the 5T and the 6T with step down ring. In recent times I don't do as intense macros as you do thus am getting more mileage out of the 5T. Indeed, for "whole image" closeups I think the 5T is difficult to beat on a zoom lens.
    Excellent post!
    Jerry Snider

12. Thanks Dave, Gale and Gilles. appreciate the comments.

Martin

13. I see what you mean, this combo is too close for whole dragons and butterflies but not close enough for the smaller things or portraits.

I will have to pick up a 5T also.

Thanks Jerry.

Martin

14. Jerry Snider

Jerry Snider

May 8, 2005
    By the way, did anyone notice the tiny "human face" profile on the face of the Hover Fly? Or am I merely seeing things? A Canon 500D won't do that :lol: !
    Jerry Snider

15. Good eye Jerry, I see it now.

16. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Those images are totally amazing. Fantastic captures!

17. Very cool shots! This is a whole different world of photography. I respect those who can pull it off so well!