300mm 2.8

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by hardwork, Apr 6, 2007.

1. hardwork

hardwork

Nov 4, 2006
    Lynnwood Wash
    whats the best 300mm 2.8 for Nikon Sigma or Tamron

2. You get what you pay for =) Best bargain is the Nikon 300 2.8 AF-I. Next best bargain is the AF-S II. Best hands down? Of course the most expensive VR.

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I shot with Papa85 (Tony) today, he uses a Sigma 300mm f/2.8 lens and it yields some gorgeous images. The lens is super fast focusing and the lens is built like a tank. For $2,600 new, it is a great substitute for the Nikkor product. I only shoot Nikkor, but there is nothing at all wrong with Tony's Sigma.

4. CAJames

CAJames

Sep 6, 2006
    Lompoc, CA
    I agree completely. I also agree the AF-I is a great value, and don't overlook the AI/AI-S either. But honestly, I've never heard of a bad 300mm f/2.8 and never seen anything less than excellent pictures from any of them.

5. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Yep 30yr old 300 2.8 EDIF MF.
    just back from nikon docs :biggrin:
    [​IMG]

6. None of the Nikkor 300/2.8 lenses have serious flaws. The features varied of course, but the optical formula is identical with all the models I believe. The AF and AF-I versions are probably the best value based on pricing I've seen but any of them would be great performers if in good working order. Also, check out the TC-300/301. It's matched to that lens and works wonderfully with it and the 400/3.5 AI-S.