1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

300mm f/2.8 AF-S II

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Dave, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    I know there have been a lot of threads lately about the 300 f/2.8 lenses, but I just purchased the AF-S II model from another member here on the Cafe this week and I must say it is everything you could possibly imagine.

I noticed on one of my shots how it completely killed the background at f/2.8...so I wanted to do a test. Here is a shot with woods behind the focus with the camera set to f/22:

[​IMG]

And here is the same shot at f/2.8 with the background completely shot so much that it looks like there's a backdrop behind it.

[​IMG]

And here's a shot showing off the bokeh and sharpness of the lens.

[​IMG]

To say the least I am smitten...I can't wait to try it out for sports!

2. ARGH! OK OK I GIVE UP DAMMIT!

What an impressive performance there. Sell that lens to me? :) 

Looks like that is the EXACT ticket I need. Check out the 300/f4 AF-S... good sharpness, but the BG is killing me. And I don't get those sweet runoffs for local sports you see in pro fields/arenas/stadiums/etc.

U_D70_0859.
    NIKON D700    ---    300mm    f/5.0    1/500s    ISO 640

3. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    the 300 2.8 and 400 2.8 are background erasers....they almost make shots looks like setups and not real but I can assure you (i know you know already) that parents go crazy over the isolation...you don't even need action

this is the D3 at 2.8 (which is actually becoming a problem for me since it's too thin)

[​IMG]

4. Yeah you know Randy the most surprising thing I've found since buying and shooting the D700 for sports isn't as much the focal length adjustment from DX but rather the much thinner DOF. It is fantastic when you nail things right but it does put an extra emphasis on the performance of the AF-C system. Thankfully it's an excellent tracker - even better than my old D2 bodies.

Geeez just look at that smooth BG. Amazing.

5. Super shot Dave...

6. wingspar

wingspar

Mar 16, 2008
    Oregon
    The bokeh of your background greatly depends on the distance between you and your subject. If your subject was closer to you in that photo, even at f/4, your bokeh would be much creamier. Personally, I don’t see anything wrong with the bokeh in your football photo.

Here are two shots taken a couple of weeks ago. Both are with the 300 f/2.8 with the 1.4TC, effectively making the lens an f/4 lens. Both of these were taken with that combo a few minutes apart. Same kid, same background both shots. In #1 the kid was further away from me that in #2. Distance from camera to subject affects DOF and bokeh. Pardon the WB. It was me in PP.

NIKON D2H    ---    420mm    f/4.0    1/2000s    ISO 200

NIKON D2H    ---    420mm    f/4.0    1/2000s    ISO 200

7. Randy, quick question. Do you ever use TCs with the 400mm? I'd like to hear your experiences with the 400 if you have used TCs. Specifically the 1.4 and 1.7. Thanks!

8. Gary, I think the combo still exhibits the same OOF BG as an f2.8 the light loss
    going thru the TC is what makes it an f4. You haven't stopped down the max aperture
    of the 300...but the 'monkey's been wrong before. :eek: 

9. DJ, I agree with the FX DOF and I'll stop down to f3.5 or so and all is good.
    With DX at f3.2 I can get crisp focus 2 kids deep. D300 300 f2.8 VR. :smile:

DSC_4437-1.

View attachment 262820

10. mattsteg

mattsteg

Aug 10, 2007
    MN
    The light loss comes from changing what the f/stop is.

Remember that f/stops are ratios of lens effective aperture over lens focal length. The TC increases the focal length, and the aperture doesn't change. Therefor the f/stop changes by the same amount as the focal length and the properties of the combination are going to be those of, for example, a 420 f/4 for a 1.4 tc on a 300/2.8. There's no magic that somehow separates "light loss" from f/stop.

11. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    How about for sports?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Toby D

Toby D

Mar 7, 2006
    Iowaay
    I guess you like it?

13. Dave

Dave

Feb 7, 2007
    Suwanee, GA
    Yes Toby I like it a lot...it has a permanent home on my monopod now. :biggrin:

Thanks again!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.