300mm f/2.8 VR

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Ron Reznick, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Nice lens. This one was handheld at f/2.8 (1/320 -- not at all
    marginal). The reason I'm posting it, other than just the high
    coolness factor, is to show the character of the lens wide open.
    The shot was cropped and resized 50%:
    (click to expand image)
    [​IMG]

Ron

2. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

3. Hi Paul,

It made that ugly brown brackish pond into a nice background, didn't it?

I snuck up on him until I was at just the right distance to get the majority of the bird in the DOF. I couldn't get any closer as I was already inside his fear radius, but it was worth going in that close to try this shot out... it did require quite a sneak though. It was my first real chance at testing the lens at f/2.8 on an interesting subject.

We had UK-like weather up in Monterey while I was there, but of course as soon as I got back home (where I have a TON of work waiting, and can't go out and shoot), the weather turned as beautiful as SoCA can be.

Figures...

Ron

4. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Super detail on that guy!

Man, you must've gotten really close, about 30ft or less? Love their green eyes.
    Say, I just heard that you give a $50/day refund for every day your promised puter delivery date is missed. Is that true? :shock:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    j/k ya buddy! :lol: I know you'll "git er done" asap. Good chatting w/you yesterday.

5. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Ron,
    That new VR lens really looks good. Bet it would compliment my 200-400.
    Would it be easy to handhold and not quite as hard as with the 200-400? It is a bit lighter I think by one pound or so. Also would be faster.
    Thanks for posting that duck shot. That's a beauty and certainly worth the sneak.

Best to you,
    Gaye

6. Hi Steve,

Boy, we have been having a vendor problem, haven't we? [sigh]

I got up early this morning to call those guys when they open at 6AM Pacific Time, just for you. :^) You'll note that I got four hours sleep...

Gaye, it's lighter, yes, but the really big deal is that the center of gravity is much further back towards the camera. Very hand-holdable... much more so than even the 300/2.8 AFS-II.

That one is a Double-Crested Cormorant, Gaye :^)

Ron

7. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Ron,

Thanks for the good info on that lens.

It's obviously a good one!

Best to you,

Gaye

8. Nice shot Ron, very impressive for handheld.

Do you notice with VR a kind of "shimmering" look to the bokeh? I saw this same look at times with the 70-200VR. It lacks that "creamy" look that I expect wide open. Any thoughts?

Joe

9. I've seen this occasionally...

I'll have to do a test with VR on/off sometime and see if it is repeatable.

Ron

10. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Ron :

I tried something with the 70-200mm AFS/VR a bit back. Where the VR function was more prevalent (e.g., slower shutter speeds), it seemed to be somewhat more visible. Faster shutter speeds seemed to "dilute" the effect. It's possible it's a harmonic effect of some type, but I've lacked the time and inclination to run detailed tests.

John P.

11. That sort of makes sense... if that element is moving enough it could easily alter the rendering of the background.

I'll check it when I get some time. Time is really at a premium for the next 10 days...

Ron

12. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Hey Ron,

Just saw your post (I just can't read them all any more). Glad to see that you like the replacement lens. I'll take it off of your hands for about $2,800.... :lol:

Frank

13. It *did* take a while to get that baby replaced, didn't it? I really missed that 300mm, but you have done spectacular work with it, so at least I got vicarious enjoyment out of it.

Now, I get to play with one myself again :^)

Ron

14. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Ron,
    Don't forget to post some more pictures with that new 300 VR of yours.

Always enjoy anything you post but especially curious about this lens...and know Flew is too :)

Best,

Gaye

15. Hi Gaye,

I shot with it at Sepulveda last Thursday... here are a couple of Coot shots from the 300mm with TC-14e: (click to expand images)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This was taken with the 300mm at San Simeon the weekend before:
    [​IMG]

Ron

16. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

17. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005