300mm f/4 AFS w/1.7x TC?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Ibn, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Ibn

Ibn

Jun 28, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Just wondering if anyone has this combo on their D70? I already have the TC14EII, which is currently glued onto my 300mm, but want a bit more reach.

Been contemplating whether or not to pick up the 1.7x or the 2x. I'm interested in knowing whether the D70 will AF with the 1.7x (same with the 2x TC). Probably will slow the lens down quite a bit since I'm already seeing that with the 1.4x TC.

Lastly, what's the difference between version 1 versus version 2 of these TC (is version 2 just lighter due to differences in materials used)?

TIA

2. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Eric:

Can't answer your question about the 1.7, but the 2X will definitely slow down the focus. The focus with the 300 f4 and 2X is too slow on my D2H to shoot any birds in flight. Works okay on more stationary subjects, but shows some softness.

3. Ibn

Ibn

Jun 28, 2005
    San Jose, CA
    Wow, if that's slow on the D2H, then it must be ultra slow on the D70. Was gonna test it out for extending the range and will be shooting some perching birds (e.g. white tail kites) in the distance. Was planning on using it for in flight pictures, since even the 1.4x TC slows the lens down considerably already.

BTW, thanks for the reply.