300mm f/4 tripod foot

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by vandrv, Sep 16, 2008.

1. vandrv

vandrv

Jul 21, 2008
    Maryland
    I just bought a 300m f/4 afs lens and it is scheduled to arrive today. Now I need to start thinking about mounting it to my tripod. I know the early versions of this lens were supposed to have a very poor tripod foot and that the newer ones had been improved. My question is to anyone who has this lens, are you using just a lens plate or was it necessary to buy a replacement Kirk plate? I would like to go with just the plate if I can, but don't want to have to replace it later. Thanks for any help
    Joe

2. I believe this one (300 f/4) requires a replacement collar. I have the Kirk and it works well. NC-300 $160.

3. vandrv

vandrv

Jul 21, 2008
    Maryland
    That's what I was afraid of. I should have known I couldn't get off easy when it comes to spending more money

4. I've seen more than one shooter wedge a cork between QR plate and barrel...quick cheap fix. :biggrin:

5. If you are serious about getting the most from your 300, I would get the Kirk mount. I procrastinated a year and finally found one used, when tripod mounted I see a genuine improvement in my pictures. BTW, I have compulsive lens tester syndrome, one of those people that test and retest everything from a tripod to get the most out of it. Too much time on my hands I guess. Regretfully it's a must have with that lens:biggrin:

Gene

6. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    suburbia, ny
    there is a Kirk foot on the FS forum right now...

7. I have a Kirk foot on my 80-400VR ans it is indeed much better than the factory one. I wouldn't hesitate.

8. vandrv

vandrv

Jul 21, 2008
    Maryland
    I just reached enough posts to view the for sale forum, but haven't gotten access to it yet . Hopefully it will remain unsold until I can get there.
    Joe

9. Ol-Jerr

Ol-Jerr Guest

I carved a oak dowel to just fit between the tripod mount and the lens barrel and it made the lens very stable. It's only about one inch long. Took about a half hour to make.

10. The cork method works very well and for the price of a new collar you can buy oh.... maybe 1000 of them:biggrin:

original.

Don

11. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    the standard foot is fine and this lens is very easy to handhold anyway....save your money for the 300vr and then you will need a new foot

12. what the monkey said! :biggrin:

i used a cross country ski cork, used for rubbing in the wax. it is perfectly shaped (like a U) and fits in snugly between the lens and foot. the cork was about $3 maybe?

13. TEWKES

TEWKES

Aug 18, 2008
    Canada
    Another vote for the cork method...

I use this lens handheld quite a bit, but when I need tripod stability a cork does the trick.

Cheers,
    Mark

14. rolsen

rolsen

Apr 12, 2008
    Finland
    If you do a lot of tripod work and use long shutter speeds (1/30 -> few seconds), you'll appreciate the smoothness of Kirk collar. Just try to rotate the original collar, it's quite sticky and feels like a bad joke. Handheld this lens is a dream and nothing to worry about - just try the cork and if it's enough, stick with it. I took the Kirk route and no turnin' back :smile:

15. Leif

Leif

Feb 12, 2006
    England
    Neat. Is there a preferred grape and vintage? :smile:

16. Leif

Leif

Feb 12, 2006
    England
    Actually it just occurred to me, but doesn't the cork interfere with rotating the lens in the collar? For some of us that would be an issue. :redface:

17. rolsen

rolsen

Apr 12, 2008
    Finland
    Leif: Yes, it interferes, that is why I recommend using Kirk or equivalent replacement collar. The cork is still el cheapo workaround.

18. vandrv

vandrv

Jul 21, 2008
    Maryland
    I found a used Kirk collar in the for sale section and just went ahead and bought that. At least now I won't have to buy just a lens plate and always wonder if I should replace it with something better. The only problem I see with this is that I will have one less piece of equipment to blame for my lousy photographs.
    Joe

19. Leif

Leif

Feb 12, 2006
    England
    Cheers. I guess there is no such thing as a free lunch.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.