300mm f2.8 Sports Shooters// Lens question.

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by oldnslow, Jul 24, 2008.

1. oldnslow

oldnslow

Sep 23, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Hey sports shooters i have a question for you, if not getting the vr version, is there a hugh difference between the af-s and af-i versions of this lens. As it pertains to all aspects of autofocus, such as quickness,lock on, and tracking or do these have alot to do with the camera body, i will be using a D300. Also is anyone using the af-i version for night time sports or is the af-s version that much better at night.

Thanks David.

2. rawke

rawke

Jun 16, 2008
    Canada
    I don't own one of these babies, but from what I hear, the AF-I is much slower then the AF-S. But the IQ is very similar. The AF-I should also be louder, but that a small detail.

The deal is for the AF-S I, save a few hundred dollars off the AF-S II with the cost of a few extra grams. haha

3. acena

acena

Mar 14, 2006
    New Jersey
    The AF-S focuses faster because it has its own internal motor so you are not relying on the camera body to turn the screws so to speak

4. rawke

rawke

Jun 16, 2008
    Canada
    I was under the impression that AF-I does have an internal motor, just a really crappy one. This was one of the Nikon's first attempts after motor-driven AF systems (I think?)

5. The AFS series uses the newer "silent wave" motor which is internally (to the lens) driven by power from the camera, and doesn't completely rely upon the focusing mechanism from the body, like AF-I. AFS-II improves upon it a little more.

6. I have the AF-I version and it focuses fast on my D300. Haven't used the AF-S version but so far the AF-I hasn't let me down.

7. I have the AF-S version one of the 300 2.8. It focuses instantly with my D2x and D3. Image quality is super sharp and colors are just awesome. One of Nikon's finest IMO.

8. Rawke,

I rented the non-VR version of the 300/2.8 this past weekend....

One example for your consideration is here. A used one runs about $2500 and IMHO would be worth it, don't know about the AI version, but check out Bjorn's site.

This is a huge crop, close to 100% with a 300/2.8, sharpened in CS3 at 154

9. KeithR

KeithR

Jun 21, 2008
    Minnesota
    If you plan to shoot sports, you don't want anything other than AF-S. In sports, you don't have the time to wait for your gear to catch up to the action.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2008
  10. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    David, if you decide to buy an AF-I lens, you need to check into availability of teleconverters. I had a Nikon 300mm f/2.8 AF ED lens and it worked great, but it took me a while to find a TC that would allow the lens to autofocus. The focusing speed did slow a bit with the TC applied, but still was fast enough to cover sports and aircraft. Good luck with your purchase.

11. AF-I lenses are compatible with the E-series TCs that the AF-S versions use. I would be most concerned about parts availability. If one breaks, the chances get smaller and smaller that you'll be able to get it repaired as spare parts are no longer manufactured and are being depleted.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.